Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you seat share with just anybody?

A question some may be asking even in GA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

trick question….
For professionals, AFAIU they meet just before the flight, not necessarily knowing each other, so that’s very specific.

I bring friends or fellow pilots once in while, not sure i’d take on just anyone.

But that’s more or less what instructors do…

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

The French prosecutor (NOT accident investigators) came to this conclusion very quickly only by listening to CVR tapes and hearing nothing but the first officer’s breathing inside the cockpit. Until more information is available (in particular the FDR data), I withhold judgment…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have occasionally voluntarily placed people in the rear seat because I did not know how they might react during the flight.

LFPT, LFPN

Until more information is available (in particular the FDR data)

I don’t really expect much additional information from that. That an altitude of 96ft – the lowest possible – was (manually! there is no other way) entered for the descent is obvious from the mode-S transmissions that were received by radar. That the FO was the only person in the cockpit is obvious from the CVR recording. So who else could have initiated that descent?

And regarding the original question: No, I wouldn’t. At work I don’t have much choice, they send me whoever is available (apart from one rather difficult destination where I have made it clear that I absolutely require a capable pilot to accompany me).

EDDS - Stuttgart

I have done several seat shares including with people on here. I think it is a good way to encourage pilots who perhaps can’t fly as much as they want or who want to experience a new type.

How you find people is key. Using regulars on EuroGA is a filter as is asking PPL/IR members.

While my kids joke that I often fly with “randoms” , they are anything but. I think some people are too paranoid about it. Many people became interested in flying or motivated to continue their flying through getting seat time. Even with the recent events, problems like that are a vanishingly low risk.

EGTK Oxford

Well at least in that line of work there is some screening. In other places there are none. Saying this from a country where everyone has an assault rifle at home – better not p!ss off your depressed colleagues.

apart from one rather difficult destination

Curious. Which is that?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But that’s more or less what instructors do…

They should however get a chance to sit down with the student and size him/her up before the flight, so a totally obvious psycho would not get far.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Curious. Which is that?

Marina di Campo.

EDDS - Stuttgart
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message