Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wrong Hex Code

When flying my Mooney back today I got an email forwarded to me from the previous owner which he received from ADSB Network about the mode S hex code being incorrect (not having changed since being reg’d in Hungary). From Googling, I just need to go into the settings of the GTX330 and replace the code in blue in the picture below with the code in red. Is that right?

Last Edited by zuutroy at 03 Aug 16:20
EIMH, Ireland

Sounds right but is that source authoritative?

Here (Denmark) the official national airplane register is available on the authority’s homepage, and the hex codes are there too.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The source who sent the email? I don’t really know. Seems strange to me but then today is my first day as an aircraft owner, so what do I know?! He also attached a document that seems to be from the French ‘OSAC’ confirming that is the correct hexcode.

EIMH, Ireland

Congrats on the new plane!

By the way, I assume you know the story behind that bird? It used to be registered D-EEJH, operated by a flying school in Augsburg, Germany and widely used by renting pilots. I have flown it once, maybe ca. 2007. Shortly after, someone flew it to Hungary, and – allegedly – landed it in some grass airfield which was more a field of potatoes. The gear collapsed. The wreck then remained in Hungary and was apparently rebuilt and the aircraft registered HA-JML. Since then it has flown for several years in Hungary, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the damage history. Anyway: Has this been fully disclosed to you?

Link

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Aug 20:12
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hungary is assigned the ICAO 24 bit addresses in the range of 470000 to 477FFF in Hexadecimal.

KUZA, United States

@bosmantico I knew it used to be German, and it had damage history but I thought it was a prop strike, didn’t know the gear went as well. Anyway, given the extensive renovation and 6 years of clean living I was happy with it. I got a thorough pre-buy done too for a bit more peace of mind.

EIMH, Ireland

Roger. It only rang a bell once I saw the reg HA-JML in this thread. When we discussed F-HVAL here, I didn’t know this WAS HA-JML, which was D-EEJH. Anyway, enjoy it!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

zuutroy wrote:

From Googling, I just need to go into the settings of the GTX330 and replace the code in blue in the picture below with the code in red. Is that right?

No. I would interpret it that you need to set the transponder ICAO 24 bit address to the value of 471907. In the US, the value is printed on the registration certificate in the aircraft and I would expect it would also be on the Hungarian form. It might be printed using the 8 character octal value and if so, you have to convert it to the 6 character Hexadecimal value. Trig has a nice function that you can use to convert octal to hexadecimal at Mode S Address Converter

Last Edited by NCYankee at 04 Aug 12:51
KUZA, United States

@zuutroy, what is the current registration of the aircraft? HA-JML, F-HVAL or something else? If it’s HA-JML, change the call sign in the transponder settings to “HAJML”. If it’s F-HVAL, change the hex/octal code in the transponder settings to 471907. If it’s something else, set the callsign to that value and get the proper ICAO code from the registering authority and set it to that value.

NCYankee wrote:

In the US, the value is printed on the registration certificate in the aircraft and I would expect it would also be on the Hungarian form.

It’s not. You can get it separately from the CAA. (And if you sell the aircraft, you should also pass on the CAA letter with the code.)

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

It’s currently F-HVAL since Dec 2016. I will make the change suggested if it’s a DIY job, but if not I’ll hold off for a bit as I haven’t decided whether to leave it as F- or go to EI- yet.

EIMH, Ireland
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message