Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Xavion App

Even by Apple app shop standards it is a very expensive app so there is a chance it will work

Only TomTom better it, by charging (at the time I bought it for Justine's Iphone4) £60 for "Europe" and then wanting another £60 for Greece

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think I too will wait for AeroPlus' report. I do use my iPad in portrait mode, though I was going to chance to landscape as it really does block out the view to the critical gauges in my aircraft.

Right now my primary use of the iPad is to run SkyDemon. I dont want to be running a 2nd app in the background, killing my battery, and therefore I would only use it in an emergency scenario, more so for the six pack instruments, rather than finding the best field as thats too reliant on technology for me. That would impact it's ability to 'learn', though I assume using an Bluetooth external GPS, it would at least work out where it is prety quickly (perhaps a incorrect assumption - I am not sure).

It's true, this, and TomTom are up there with expensive apps, but TomTom is an exceptional product, and I guess thats what TomTom think is the real cost of their software, minus the hardware device market which getting smaller.

I think it won't work in that way PiperArcher. It needs to be running from the start of the flight, think of it like INS or IRS. If you turn it on in flight at 45 degree bank and climbing it will reference that as the starting point of 'level' and measure changes from there, so will be of no use at all. Potentially if you be absolutely assured you were straight and level, it may work but if you have lost some of the panel you probably don't want to be messing around trying to synchronise another instrument whilst flying partial panel I suspect.

For the same reasons the device it is running on needs to be static so, yoke mounting or whatever won't work (unless you are using an external box of solid state gyros).

My thought was to run it on an iPhone which I don't use currently for anything in flight and isn't too big when mounted to obscure things and is going to give an attitude reference about the same size as a conventional or standby AI.

EGBP, United Kingdom

It needs to be running up front and in its latest version will not run in the background anymore as it was eating battery-power.

EDLE, Netherlands

Aeroplus writes:

There is no setting to switch from Portrait to Landscape, only to flip from one Portrait to the opposite Portrait mode.>

On that assumption, I presume it would allow my Bad Elf GPS to work at the top of the screen. This might compensate for the web page warnings that "in a metal aircraft" such a GPS aerial might not completely effective.

I would be interested in other people's experiences.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

It works in combination with the Bad Elf GPS device as well as other external GPS receivers. At least that is what they say. I have myself the Iridium Inreach device which I hacked so now I can send myself a text message for weather (METAR/TAF) of any airport while flying and receive from my server the weather information back automatically. This device also has a GPS receiver which connects to the iPad. I will try using this combination and keep the iPad in Portrait mode.

EDLE, Netherlands

I did have a quick look at the app yesterday. It needs to run in the foreground and does not continue in the background. From the short moment I used it, it seems to do a good job in getting the aircraft performance just from the takeoff roll, climb out, etc. It showed me the nearest airfield ok with a proposed glide path going there. I don't think it is worth that much money and still don't like that it only works in portrait mode.

EDLE, Netherlands

So you would have to dedicate an Ipad to it, if it needs to run the whole time (which I am sure it does)?

I would not mind buying an Ipad3 and dedicate it to the plane, so long as I can get satellite phone weather on it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Aeroplus. I think for me its of little use sadly as 1) My primary use for the iPad in flight is SkyDemon 2) My iPad is yoke mounted and the opinion is that it needs to be on a fixed mount somewhere. Interesting to read your review though.

So you would have to dedicate an Ipad to it, if it needs to run the whole time (which I am sure it does)?

At first I understood, the app would continue to run in the background, but that was consuming so much power from the battery that they stopped that approach. I did not let it run all the time in the front and once I pulled the app to the front, it immediately gave me the nearest airport and a curved path to that airport for an emergency landing.

In potential the idea/app is great, but I would consider it beta and not worth that much money.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message