Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yahoo & Chrome

It is driving me crazy. Somehow Yahoo have installed themselves on my PC and now, every time I launch Chrome, the Yahoo search page is opened. I have tried going to Chrome settings and entering Google as default start up page but every time I open Chrome again Yahoo opens uncommanded and unwanted. Anybody know a cure?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Check in Programs and Features, sometimes there is a Yahoo product there that you need to uninstall.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Tried that as well – nothing to be found. Tried uninstalling and re-installing Chrome and the Yahoo search page still appears.

That google leads to many hits, 99% of which aren’t likely to work (as usual)

I agree with one suggestion that somewhere along the line some installation program offered the yahoo toolbar, with a checkbox which could be unticked, but the checkbox got missed. Adobe do that con all the time…

How about entering chrome://settings/ into the URL box? That takes you to all the settings which non-IT people are not supposed to know about. In there you see (under Settings) e.g.

which in my case shows all this crap

but I don’t use Chrome anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter and achimha – problem solved using one of the links. It seems I was not signed in – signing in and then removing the Yahoo page from the list of pages to open on startup seems to have solved the problem.

I still do not understand how it got there. i had downloaded an app this morning that wanted to install Yahoo and I expressly said no.

On the bright side, this is Yahoo’s CEO

Still doesn’t make up for the wasted time

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 04 Nov 16:56
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message