Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yet another "new" "toy" to fly for me... (Beech 33)

IIRC, Bosco normally recommends not buying any plane from Spain.

I think it is because most will have been neglected. This is one example

This lot is in Portugal but very similar happens in Spain.

It had taken nearly a year, during which time it couldn’t be flown

And sooooo many posts over the years saying how EU-EU transfers are “just paperwork”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Getting rid of the EC-reg is probably a nightmare though.

I’ve mentioned before that I ran into a guy on the ramp at Cannes who was about to do his first flight in a new-ish SR22 after moving it from EC to F. It had taken nearly a year, during which time it couldn’t be flown. Comprehensively best avoided!

LFMD, France

Yes, if the airframe is ok and the overhauls are quality ones, then this could a good deal (of course, the avionics are old and basic, so some more investment in that area might have to be budgeted).

Getting rid of the EC-reg is probably a nightmare though.

Its SN is close to the one I fly. This one, being a 1964 B33, still has the small third side window, but has been converted to the sloped (slightly faster) windshield. But the most important thing is that it has the more modern fuel system, which I think all 1964s have.

Mogas capability of not so much use for a UK owner though. But decent at short / soft grass fields, if not loaded to MTOW, despite “only” 225HP.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

From here

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=56090
planecheck_EC_FOK_56090_pdf

Devil would be in the detail, but if this is a genuine full restoration it is very good value. Not a AC114 but a 1964 Beech B33

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I told Justine about that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I know ships are traditionally gurlz but thought planes were boyz

There has been a thread on that some years ago. My take from that: Everything that has running/maintenance cost which are higher than the acquisition cost is female ;-)

Germany

Actually this example is analogous to a lighter version of the rare G33. These examples, now branded Bonanza, were built in 1972 for Lufthansa with a MAUW of 3300 lbs and the 260 HP IO-470N. The G33 has the engine canted by two degrees, while the D’Shannon STC for the installation of the IO-470N on earlier Debonairs does not have the canted installation.

Using a G33 POH the 55% performance produces at ISA 8,000 feet 148KTAS on 10.3 USGPH (2100 RPM and 22 in MP). The G33 POH claims a speed of 167 KTAS at 7,000 ISA and 75%.

The IO-470N can be tweaked into a IO-470N-MOD, which produces 300HP.

Despite the engine mod the MAUW on the A33 remains at 3000 lbs, but they typically way around 1850 lbs empty.

Yes, Mark is from just up the road from where I live.

@boscomantico I think the hike in AvGas has resulted in more realism by sellers.

It has 63 usg useable, working on 90 minute reserve (45%) and 10% contingency, I plan to use block 11.5 usg per hour and 140 KTAS (55%) This gives 525nm VFR. There are three 500nm legs: Scheferville to Iqaluit, Iqaluit to Kangerlassuaq, and Hornafjordur to Wick. All these legs have diversion airports, but not all with AvGas.

At 45% LOP in effect Carson speed, range with ferry type contingencies goes to 600nm. It has a 470-N like a P35.

Congratulations! Looking at where the photos were taken I guess it came from Mark Pilkington? His videos are interesting if you want to stock up on totally random details :)

United Kingdom

Congrats, good luck with the ferry flight !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
127 Posts
Sign in to add your message