Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your favourite country to fly in?

OK, before this whole Greece & southern Europe thread degenerates into something we've all left behind over at the wrinkled plum, let's start a positive thread:

What is your favorite country to fly in?

The reasons can be anything, from sheer natural beauty to ease and convenience of private aviation. Only countries where you've actually flown, please, the RHS tourist run round Table Mountain doesn't count!

I'll kick it off:

In no particular order:

US - beauty and the fabulous way private aviation in integrated into society there; it doesn't get any better than that

Namibia - for the beauty and the adventure

Australia - not overly pleasant from the bureaucratic POV (the hi-viz brigade is alive and well down there!) and hideously expensive, but some fab landscapes

Austria - natural beauty and easy (things work)

Over to you guys!

I have flown a Super Cub on skis in the Swiss Alps and I think I'll find that hard to beat location wise.

Forever learning
EGTB

Slovenia - nice places, easy access for GA even on their bigger airports, efficient

Croatia - stunning adriatic coast, easy access for GA on bigger airports, relatively cheap fuel

Germany - many smaller airfields, efficient ATC, but they're fond of their rules

France - great aviation nation, but recently customs and language proficiency have been a bit of a PITA

Scotland - all important views have been conveniently published as VFR reporting points in the Edinburgh CTR, and the guy running Cumbernauld is always joking

LSZK, Switzerland

Switzerland - expensive, but the scenery and the flying challenge are worth it!

Scotland - again for the scenery, and the excellent strips on the islands

France - for the food

EGEO

NZ has a lot going for it. Difficult and bureacratic to get in to (as a PPL), which gives it exclusivity once you do. Outstanding scenery and a relaxed flying environment in a country plastered in lovely airfields. Added to which, automated pumps everywhere (if in a Cessna, bring your own stepladder!), modern hotels in every town, a VFR flightplan system that works, glorious scenery (did I mention that?), relatively economical, etc.

I've put a write up here and on the Flyer 'Trip reports' section. NZ. Reccomended. (The place, not the trip report)

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

For variety of scenery, the weather, the food and the people .... Italy.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Ah...finally! ;-)

+1!

...Closely followed by the UK, Germany, France and, of course, Scandinavia. Actually, I love flying everywhere!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Actually, I love flying everywhere!

That's the spirit!

I am based in LSZH, Switzerland and of course I love to fly here. Lots of aerodromes, most of which are unproblematic, have fuel and (Schengen) customs. LSZH is expensive but it's home....

Other than that:

Germany and Austria are fairly unproblematic, has lots of VFR accessible airspace and many good airports.

Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia for ease of use and cheap fees and fuel, particularly in Belgrade.

Bulgaria, good and new small airports with fuel. Plovdiv for customs.

France: I used to love to fly in France and will continue to do so. Airspace is a mess however.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As a microlight flyer, and ((alas)) not yet speaking of practical experience:

France is quite ok, though some pragmatism is required.
Germany very nice if one does not exaggerate pragmatism. Eastern Germany seems particularly nice, many fields offering overnight accommodation on the grounds.
Austria is difficult and Switzerland impossible.
Italy is beautiful but some queer regulations (max 500' AGL ??) plus impractical to access what with the mountains and inhospitable neighbour countries.
Central Europe (CZ, SK, HU) seems attractive but I fear language problems, having travelled these countries driving and found precious little people speaking any language except local. Same applies to Spain, though Catalunya should be doable.
Portugal very distant, yet high on my wish list. A trip of two weeks at the very least.
Holland is expensive and little inviting to private flying - the one exception EHTX Texel is on my wish list though.
UK: queer, plus inherent risk in crossing the water. Some fine places and events reported, though. No language issues, at least.
Scandinavia: no idea, curious. I found most people a bit on the dull side, there; but I may have been unlucky. Lodgings and restaurants reported expensive and meagre.
Balticum: still less of an idea, yet more curious.
Poland: good reports on some forums, even night flying for microlights has been mentioned.
Russia/Ukraine: too early, might become nice in a few more years. Very distant, too.
Slovenia/Croatia: universally praised for PPL flying, I fear microlight flying is little developped as yet. Should be at least doable, probably even good.
Rest of Balkans: like Russia/Ukraine.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message