Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your instrument panel

My 2002 TB20GT:

The LHS HSI was replaced via a field approval with a Sandel SN3500 EHSI. Later, a second SN3500 was installed on the RHS. The EDM700 was rebuilt by JPI from 2.25" to 3.125" and moved from RHS to LHS. The RHS was moved around a bit to create the proper configuration for a RHS pilot.

The Avidyne TAS605 active TCAS and the WX500 stormscope display on both EHSIs and the KMD550 MFD.

The Sandels can be switched to a “reversionary AI” mode

so I can have a total of four AIs plus the TC. Of course with just one alternator this is an illusion and only the LHS vacuum pump driven AI is independent.

Apart from the TAS605 installation which was done by an avionics shop (which shall remain nameless, because they bodged it pretty badly) I have managed all the changes myself, doing each one as a “surgical” thing so as to not cause downtime. This has been possible via good contacts to get field approvals done and a great local A&P/IA to keep it all legal.

One day, when I feel really brave, the centre stack will be reworked, most likely with a GTN650+GTN750. I will probably have to use a shop for that – if only to get a heated hangar. But I don’t need it except to get LPV.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is the current version of the panel in my Extra 400. On the right is a 12.9 in iPad connected via Flight Stream 210 to the certified avionics.
I am still tinkering with a V2 of all this whereby some switches that presently sit on the pilot’s armrest would move into the panel.
A cluster for de-icing, another for lighting, a third one for climate control, etc… Only leave fuses and things that are used upon startup on the left .

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 07 Dec 17:19
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

What software do you run on the ipad when in flight?

Isn’t it placed too far to the right to be confortable for the pilot?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A “slight difference” in philosophy between the last two instrument panels

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use Garmin Pilot (which includes Synthetic Vision and geo-referenced charts.
The ipad has a 4G data card with a Europe wide subscription. This allows me to download the latest weather on Meteoblue and Windy at TKOF or during the climb. Very nice for picking cruise FL.
The iPad is indeed a bit far away. Not much of a problem because one can pinch and zoom in charts.
SynVis is also really huge .
It is also easily removable so I can put it on my lap to study charts.
It does need anti glare and in V2 I will tilt 10-15 degrees towards the pilot. That should do it.
I also have aircraft-specific checklists on the iPad as pdf docs, but frankly, nothing beats paper…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I wanted two panel mounted Ipads, but in the end there just wasn’t enough room. Now I have one panel mounted, and I plan to add a removable one to the pedestal below the throttles. I have USB power outlet there, so it can be done neatly.

Like on the Extra 400 in pics above, the one in the panel is a little too far away to keep punching flight plans in. I think that one will be running VFR/Syntehtic Vision for situational awareness and the one below will be the IFR one you use for flight planning.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 09 Dec 18:53

This is my current panel.

The upgrade included an Aspen EFD1000, upgrading the existing GNS430 to WAAS, S-Tec 55X AP with Straubing alt capture and flight director and swapping the KN64DME for a 62A kindly provided by a Euroga user. We also added a Trigg TT 31 before that.

All this gives us LPV and RNP1 capability.

This is what it looked like when I bought the plane.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 09 Dec 23:54
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

My TB20 G1 (1990). I bought the plane nearly 4 years ago. Since then I have (i) first upgraded the very old pre-existing GNS430 to a W and then when it hiccuped I replaced it with a 530W which is a big step up IMHO – the bigger screen is a real boon for situational awareness, notwithstanding Garmin’s insistence that their GNS kit is for IFR charting only. (ii) got rid of a 1990-style GPS that the British Museum may have been interested in when I put the 530 in and (iii) installed the JPI EDM 700 (iv) recently got rid of a 27 year old King radio for the Trig TY96 you can see freshly installed in the picture. I think about replacing the mechanical HSI (which has already been for one repair during my ownership) for an electronic one of some description, and replacing the slightly faulty 27 year old KMA24 with a new better/ bluetooth audio selector panel, but they are all big jobs for little current payback in terms of functionality. I don’t like the Aspen HSI/AI particularly, but I may end up with one. Then there is ADSB-out…I really want to do that and am waiting for some good reports on some stable kit before going ahead. I fly with a PowerFlarm Portable connected to a Garmin Aera 795 on the yoke and with a GDL39 for ADSB-in and for AI redundancy (via the 795) which is a super setup. I think that’s a really cool way to get cheap and reliable (albeit non-certified) redundancy for the current vacuum-fed AI….Oh and the KNS80 is now playing up for the second time. It no longer drives the to/from flags on the second/ non-HSI OBS display. I hope it’s a minor fault because otherwise I’ll be buying a new NAV/DME. It’s so easy to spend money on old planes!

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

One DME two aircraft !

An illustration of the usefulness of this forum is that one DME unit appears in #21 and later the in #28. EuroGA enabled myself & Mooney-driver to strike a mutually benifical deal on an exchange of DME units when my KN62a became surplus to requirements.

The day job machine

Last Edited by Balliol at 10 Dec 16:11
Now retired from forums best wishes
Sign in to add your message