Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your list of electronic gadgets for travelling with

Nexus 7 tablet (for SkyDemon).

Samsung Galaxy A3 (my usual phone, which also has SkyDemon on it and can run as backup if required).

If I’m going somewhere where I think I may not have WiFi when I need it and may need to cane the 3G/4G data then I tend to take my work phone, which is another Samsung.

One fast mains charger covers all three. I don’t need any extra battery packs or in-aircraft charging solutions, based on the premise that I’ll be able to re-charge overnight wherever I am. The Nexus 7 battery outlasts the aircraft endurance (and mine), and battery consumption when GPS is turned off (i.e. when not flying) is neglible.

EGLM & EGTN

iPad Mini
iPhone 8
FT750

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

iPad mini 4 with Sky Demon, Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight
iPhone X for pictures and backup SD

I wanted to use Garmin Pilot for IFR, but it is so unreliable that I’m trying ForeFlight now, I hope it will be better than GP.

Like others no overheating issues with iPad mini

EPMO, Poland

iPad Mini 2
iPad 2 (old, backup, only on longer trips)
iPhone SE
DUAL 160 GPS (now also becoming backup, as the iPad gets the signal from the panel-mounted hardware since ADS-B has been installed)
Powerbank for inflight charging
iCOM transceiver (mostly used to get ATIS and call for fuel)

Software: ForeFlight

Last Edited by 172driver at 19 Jun 15:57

iPad 3 running EasyVFR (iPad is due for a replacement!)
Samsung Galaxy S6 (Also with EasyVFR)
Anker 20100 mah battery (A brilliant battery)
PilotAware (plus another Anker 18500 battery to power it)

A range of adapters to ensure that a mini usb cable can be used to charge all sorts of different devices

If going on a long trip with a pilot who isn’t running EasyVFR on a tablet, then I bring a spare tablet (cheap Lynx Windows Tablet) as backup in case something happens to the iPad.

Vertex Pilot III handheld transceiver.

I used to carry a netbook but these days, between the iPad and the phone I can pretty much do everything. And for the really odd things that I can’t do with those, I can use teamviewer back to a PC to do. So the netbook hasn’t been carried in a few years now.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

A Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet running SkyDemon, JeppTC and ADLConnect. (The tablet is a bit old, but JeppTC is the only Android app Jeppesen has and it doesn’t seem to run properly on more modern tablets.)
A Samsung Galaxy S6 phone as backup, running SkyDemon and ADLConnect. (My usual phone.)
A Golze ADL140.
A cigarette plug USB charger and a Powerbank.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

iPad Mini
iPhone
Both running Foreflight during the flight

Also a old iPad for backup and non-aviation use.
Plus battery chargers

Galaxy note 8 my current day to day phone but also running Easy VFR and telegram for autorouter.
Tablett Galaxy S3 on which I am typing this. My day to day laptop replacement
Tablett Galaxy 10 with Jepview.
Garmin 695 moving map.
garmin pilot 3 backup
Nikon P500 for all the pics the phone can not handle
Satphone (thanks Peter) and PLB for the case of cases.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

iPad Mini 4, running SD (and now also FF) in Europe, FF in the US

iPhone 7plus, in the US running FF as backup and for planning and filing, in Europe SD and FF as backup + Telegram app for flight plan messages; also it´s my main camera while travelling, especially when in a small airplane

Macbook Pro 2011, running SD on Windows7 (Parallels) for planning,

Oudie2, running SeeYou when soaring in my powered glider

Lately a GoPro 5 that I have not yet used for flying

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Samsung Galaxy S8+
pre flight: running EasyVFR for flight planning and sending flight plan to Dynon Skyview.
in flight: running TopMetSat for satellite pictures, cloud tops and ceiling etc.

Samsung Galaxy S5
running the same for backup but with a sim card of a different provider

Sign in to add your message