Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your list of electronic gadgets for travelling with

I forgot to mention 1 Gocycle E-bike

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Nice TB20, and that bike is impressive. I looked up the pricing – it ought to be really good for that too. One previous thread here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like the Segway idea. But – do you have to wear a helmet?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Two iPad mini for navigation and one iPhone for weather updating on the ground. A noname powerbank as a backup.
Gopro session from time to time

EDWF, Germany

@Aveling only if you like your head ;) I seriously don’t know the law, this device is a bit outside of the current regulation, but I never had a problem in Sweden with or without a helmet. Helmets are not mandatory for bicycles in Sweden so that might be the reason, but I use one anyways.

This scooter is quite discrete and unless you look really close it’s hard to figure out that it is electric.

ESME, ESMS

•I use a iPad Pro 10.5" 512 GB with a SIM card running Skydemon.
Backup is my iPhone X also with Skydemon and recently testing Foreflight Europe Pro Plus with the Europe subscription incl. Jepp but for VFR Skydemon is still far ahead of Foreflight.
•PowerFlarm on the dash with power from the plane and a WIFI Air Connect device attached to display traffic in Skydemon which works unreliably as the connection seems to work sometimes and sometimes not. I am not happy with the default antennas as they are prone to break when the device is stored in my flight bag and reception is not top notch so I ordered two flat folded dipole antennas including activation of the second antenna port on the PowerFlarm. It seems they perform better than the standard Flarm Antenna EU (with the T-shape) and as I am renting planes depend on having a removable solution. I’ll report on that but overall Flarm is great for gliders but in our SEP, be they plastic or aluminium, I’d guess we only get 2/3 of all traffic displayed on the PowerFlarm.
•A Powerbank charging the iPad and iPhone.
•For pictures I rely on the iPhoneX or the Canon EOS 6D.
•And for backup purposes I always carry the Yaesu Spirit FTA-750 in case the on board COM would quit.
•For cockpit videos a Garmin Virb ultra 30 with the Virb Ultra Cage with protective Lens connected via the nflightcam.com cable for GoPro’s to the Powerbank for charching and to the intercom attached to a GoPro suction cup.

Last Edited by Neal at 21 Jun 19:08
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

I should have added to my list:

Yaesu 750 radio (does ILS also)
Two 121.50+406MHz PLBs (one is from 2002, which floats, and one from 2008)
Sony X3000 camera which is occassionally used for flying videos
Tascom DR-05 sound recorder for recording sound for videos

Administrator

Garmin 296
Ipad Mini in kneeboard (SD)
Hudl 2 Android tablet (SD + Jepps)
Moto G (3dr Gen) Android phone with SD+Telegram+Autorouter

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

The astonishing thing is how much of one’s life can be wasted maintaining IT gadgets.

First there is the process of installing all the required apps on any new device. I reckon several days for a new laptop…

Then there is backing stuff up – essential when you have spent so much time configuring it all. The Lenovo T2 tablet I have been flying with for about 5 years (used it largely because nothing else would talk to the Thuraya satphone) can be backed up with either the built-in “win7 backup” (which M$ have retained in win8 and win10, under the same “win7” name) or with Trueimage, but neither of these produces bootable restore media for the “modern” SATA controllers, so the backup is useless. And sure enough the T2 packed up (actually the micro USB connector broke, as they do) and I paid 200 quid to a “proper anorak” to create a custom Trueimage boot media so I could restore the backup onto another T2 which I got on Ebay. Next came the Dell XPS13 laptop which also cannot be backed up using any means provided – for the same reasons as the Lenovo. But this time there is a convoluted process (a script) for creating a customised Trueimage boot media. So people pay anything up to £1800 (I got mine secondhand) for a laptop which they cannot back up! Android devices cannot be fully backed up unless rooted (then you can use Titanium Backup and Nova Desktop). IOS can be, subject to the apps still being in the appstore when you restore (unless you did it via Itunes, IIRC).

Administrator

I just connect my devices to power and WiFi and they back up on their own, every day (possibly more than once a day).
When I change devices, I restore the new one from an old backup and that takes maybe 2-3h, but never lose anything.
Pictures also backed up automatically to iCloud and google drive. I estimate man minutes lost to backup to about 1/ year

Sign in to add your message