Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your most annoying trip cancellation?

And now I see the return flight would have been in almost perfect blue sky wx:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was there yesterday and returned in the evening – a lot of local convective weather but avoidable and the tops were below FL160, only one CB (that lasted more than 2 hours) had top over FL180 but it was moving towards southeast and was easy to avoid.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I had an annoying cancellation the other day.
Early departure 06:45 Denmark to Norway with a 100nm sea crossing.
I had planned a brief fuel stop on the way before the crossing as the destination was notamed no fuel.
10 min after takeoff the annunciator “OIL PRESS” starts flashing. First in a random way, a bit on, longer off. Quite soon it is almost on the whole time.
The oil pressure indicator was in the middle of the green area – showing normal operation. Because of this I chose to just monitor the situation and land at the fuel stop.
I really didn’t want to push on with the sea crossing with the OIL PRESS annunicator light on, even though I was confident it were a sensor problem.
I talked to the work shop when they opened and decided to start again for a 30 min flight to get it to the work shop.
They changed the sensor in less than 1h, but still I had to cancel the meetings and the trip.
This was the first time I had to cancel a business meeting in more than 11 years of flying – based on a technical issue with the plane.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

My most annoying cancellation is tomorrow. Literally the only day in weeks of all-day IMC happens to be the day I need to go to Hawarden and get my FAA medical done. It’s OK, I can take the airlines, but it means a 14 hour or so day instead of an afternoon away (and thoughts of ‘can we afford a nice N reg Bonanza?’)

Andreas IOM

And it is still going, weeks later

Administrator

My most annoying trip cancellation was a free trip London to NY on Concorde in 1978 when I was 15.
I never did get to go on it.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 01 Aug 22:54
Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wins! And now the details please. I assume it was not weather related?

always learning
LO__, Austria

My Father was a CSD on Concorde.
He had arranged that we should spend some time together in New York; the plan was that he would put me on a 747 at 09.30 then he would work Concorde at 10.00. Concorde would overtake the 747 and he would see me off it in New York.
The 747 flight was cancelled at 09.15 and Dad was in a pickle.
It happened that Lord King, then BA chairman, was on the Concorde flight and he happened to ask my Dad if everything was OK.
Of course, Dad replied, “No, my boy is on the flight that was just cancelled!”
Lord King replied, “OK, put him on the Concorde”.
Now, this being 1978 and Concorde still being in its infancy, created quite a stir. The crew were all just as excited as I was and the skipper came to see me and told me I could have the jump seat for take-off and landing.
The Concorde flight then got cancelled too…….

Forever learning
EGTB

Back to the original topic, I am wondering if this is ever going to end

To cross the Alps, I will need to fly to an airport in France or Germany, the previous night. And if I go around the Alps, stopping in the area of Cannes, the TS could well be south of the Alps too by the time I get there, although this is less likely.

It’s been a great summer here in SE UK but a real bugger for doing long trips.

Administrator

If going to Cannes we found a great little hotel in Mandeleau, not far from the airport. 20 Euro Taxi instead of the the 50 euro for Cannes. Handling at Cannes is 60 Euro plus 25 for landing and 12.50 Euro for a nights parking. However, handing at Cannes now needs to be requested through myhandling.com. An account has to be requested. It’s a bit of a ball ache but doable.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)
Sign in to add your message