Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your most annoying trip cancellation?

I think if I have to do this I will go for somewhere in S. Germany and get a room nearby. So much of France is 24hrs PNR now, for UK flights.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You should be thankful, every blop on the radar is another excuse for a turbine ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

Back to the original topic, I am wondering if this is ever going to end
To cross the Alps, I will need to fly to an airport in France or Germany, the previous night. And if I go around the Alps, stopping in the area of Cannes, the TS could well be south of the Alps too by the time I get there, although this is less likely.

I don’t think those TS were that bad if you accept quick delays/detours, do you got some real time equipment for TS?

Some chaps I know from Blackbush did made it this weekend to Son Bonnet on a PA-31 routing via Aix-En-Provence but not sure about the est side of the Alps (tough, TS this weekend in south-east of France were quit violent but very localized in time/space)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter, you probably ought to consider exploring Scotland instead right now while the weather isn’t too sour!

Andreas IOM

How are the midges up there?

I will pop up to Weston fairly soon I think.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

How are the midges up there?

Went to Oban last month, did not get bitten once.

Andreas IOM

do you got some real time equipment for TS?

Only a WX500 stormscope. I would never rely on that in IMC with CBs around. I also have an ADL150 but the data from that is delayed by some 10-15 mins, and in the scenario here the stuff can build up anywhere around you from fresh air.

Administrator

I book only after arrival at the destination, unless it is for a long stay in a high demand place (like 2 weeks in Paros), in which case I give myself an extra day enroute, and if I come later I just write it off as the price of staying safe. But on short weekend trips, I shut down, lock the aircraft, and only then book a place.

Tököl LHTL

That’s ok if you travel alone, and/or are prepared to “rough it” And I have stayed in some real dumps… Sometimes, while one “can always find a place” it could be something really horrible if you turn up at a place which is in high demand.

If you travel with your other half then you can share a bed, but if you travel with somebody you aren’t sleeping with then you have to find two rooms and that rules out most stuff on booking.com on which most establishments offer only 1 room at a time.

Administrator

Rob2701 wrote:

Handling at Cannes is 60 Euro plus 25 for landing and 12.50 Euro for a nights parking. However, handing at Cannes now needs to be requested through myhandling.com. An account has to be requested. It’s a bit of a ball ache but doable.

Or you drop them an email and tell them you are below 2tonnes and happy to park on the grass. No handling required…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message