Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your percentage of cross-country time

In the FAA system one logs x/c time separately. This is all flights which are not A-to-A (so e.g. the Space Shuttle departing and landing at the same place is not x/c time ) and where the straight line between A and B exceeds 50nm.

For me this is almost exactly 60% (1346/2244).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

for me nearly 95% of my time is x/c

fly2000

68% and I suspect increasing every year! Been to 18 countries so far.

Last Edited by denopa at 05 Aug 11:39
EGTF, LFTF

Normally it’s only one or two flights each year with departure and destination on the same airfield. So nearly every flight is cross country.

EDDS , Germany

I have made 1146 flights of which most are X Country apart from my early training flights. The average flight length is 0.96 hours.
I have landed at 135 airports and try to add 3 or 4 new ones every year. 6 (in the U.K.) of the 135 are no longer airports.
Today I only make 3 or 4 flights a year that start and finish at the same airport. These are mainly to check the aircraft after maintenance, a rating renewal, or the first night flight of the year in November.

I initially learnt to fly to travel and go to different places. My PPL has been used to land in the U.K. (obviously), France, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Holland, Poland, and Ireland. Plenty of places to go to yet!

EGLK, United Kingdom

Having a record of the number of flights is interesting. Presumably that is an electronic logbook?

We had another fun thread here – top 20 airports.

My average flight time is 1.7hrs so clearly, for me, x/c flights are the much longer ones especially as I don’t fly much x/c within the UK. I would think x/c flights will be much longer for most people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Presumably that is an electronic logbook?

SkyLog. I can also Export the data into Excel which then makes it much easier to manipulate.

For a private pilot I would think that 1.7 hours average flight time would be hard to beat.

EGLK, United Kingdom

I always thought "cross country " is when you leave the traffic circuit…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I always thought "cross country " is when you leave the traffic circuit…

For gliders “cross country” must be farther than gliding distance from the field. Using that definition on a SEP and it would be beyond the point of no return We still have a rule in Norway saying flying further than 50 NM from the starting point requires an operational flight plan (maybe it’s the same in SERA, i don’t remember), but this would be “cross country” according to our rules. I don’t think there is any “cross country” as such in our regulations, its more about flying according to an operational flight plan to count hours for the EIR ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

79 % Cross-country, 11 % local (i.e. departing and landing at the same airfield but leaving the circuit), 9 % Circuits, 1 % aerobatics and rounding errors.

As to logging the flight type, the DGAC once standardized the logbook format and proposed the following:

Instruction (if you are an instructor)
Training (Entraînement (E))
Navigation (N)
Advanced training (perfectionnement (Per))
Aerobatics (voltige (V))
Mountain flying (vol de montagne (M))
Towing (remorquage (R))
Parachute dropping (parachutage (P))
Local flight (vol local)
Cross country with mentioning of each stop (voyage avec mention de chaque escale)
Instrument flight (vol aux instruments)

Where certain flights can have multiple types.

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message