Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your shortest ever runway?

I just watched the John Mohr Stearman video, and just as when I saw him at Oshkosh one year it scared me just to watch!

Lake Wohlford in California is a bit tricky. Its about 400 meters and on the top of a hill. The part that makes it tricky is that the hill is among a group of hills, so as you approach your perception of height goes up and down in a confusing way. Its owned by an individual but there’s nobody on site and he doesn’t seem to worry who flies there. I guess he’d tell you if he didn’t want you there.

Quite a bit of work to level the top of the hill – I’m guessing it was built by the original developer of the (1940s?) lakeside ‘resort’ – which is now just a few mobile homes and rustic restaurant at the bottom of the photo.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Dec 16:52

Early 90’s
Canterbury field in Kent UK (closed in mid 90’s) with a Piper Seneca.
ourairports.com/airports/GB-0067/
300ft elevation – 670m (kinda) sloped runway with a practically usable length of ~580m due to high trees at both ends.
An approach I will never forget ! (with my watchful instructor/safety pilot making sure we don’t end up in the trees.)

2010 onwards
ZZZZ Kopaida 100km west of Athens Greece with a TB20
http://hellasga.com/gallery/kyp/athens/kopaida
300ft elevation – Grass – 590m runway with no obstacles

LGMG Megara, Greece

Robert18 – hadn’t seen your video until now. I went flying with the same pilot, John Mohr, in his supercool Piaggio P136 Royal Gull amphibian. I was obsessed with those for awhile and asked him for a ride. Very nice guy. A Delta 767 captain. He has an insane 38.000hrs of flying time. Anyway, I made a video about it a couple of years ago:

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 23 Dec 03:43

alioth that is a fine Auster Autocrat in your avatar!

Yes, but fitted with an O-320 since we tow gliders.

Since you mention Spanhoe, that’s where we go for the annual permit revalidation. I need to go to Spanhoe just for the hell of it some time rather than bringing an aircraft that needs some sort of work, it’s a nice airfield full of interesting things.

Andreas IOM

…on the same theme there was a whimsical road movie on TV, Charlie and Boots, set in Australia, with a fine ‘barn find’ Auster starring in some nice air to air footage over the Great Barrier Reef.

There is a recently restored Aiglet at Spanhoe (in Shell corporate colours), and another Aiglet based at Andrewsfield – it is a pity no one recreates Ranald Porteous’ routine on the display circuit – Porteous used to market the Auster by displaying it with a flick roll at the top of the loop – the Porteous loop still a required maneuver for RAF trainee pilots.

A short field landing from a flick roll is within the Aiglet’s repertoire – as demonstrated by John Mohr in his Stearman.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

alioth that is a fine Auster Autocrat in your avatar!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Listed as 1200 feet long (365m) but in reality 860 feet usable (262m), Lower Loon (Idaho) in a Cessna 180. Field elevation 4000 feet. You have to fly down a valley and make a turn at the end to land, and do the opposite on departure. It’s just a flat-ish dirt runway which gets very rough at the river end. There are no go-around options, you have to nail the landing first time. (Lower Loon is a very appropriate name, you have to be a bit of a loon to go there). You also don’t want to go there with any significant wind due to the surrounding mountainous terrain.

Shortest over here was probably Derryogue in Northern Ireland, which is 470m (grass, very well maintained). No sweat in the Auster, using no short field technique at all the Auster doesn’t even use half of that.

Andreas IOM

…and give away free flight (block) time?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Oct 12:02
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not only usable when it’s windy, have used it for instance during sunset when i have forgotten my sunglasses :) Also convenient to land at 32, less taxi on ground :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

I’ve never seen anyone using 14/32 unless there is a really hefty crosswind on 03/21…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message