Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youtube video - DA42 IFR into Frankfurt in heavy weather

Jaunty17 did it again. This time he flew into Frankfurt, which is remarkable of its own. Costs in the order of 1500€ AFAIK…

The weather was heavy (the camera doesn’t pick up the turbulence very much). I am sure it was very stressful. One of these days when cancelling IFR at the right moment (or diverting alltogether) would probably have been the better choice. Great work by that DFS approach controller…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Jun 05:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Exciting approach indeed. I am curious how much he paid for landing in parking

LFPT, LFPN

boscomantico wrote:

I am sure it was very stressful.

I was stressed out just by watching…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s GA flying at the limits

“Keep your eyes on the runway” → not standard ICAO phraseology but ATC doing a great job there!

Last Edited by lenthamen at 01 Jun 09:35

It is interesting to see that, like me, he can be outwardly calm, but there is much to be read from that shifting around in the seat

EGKB Biggin Hill

very interesting !
Weather radar is a nice tool here… I’m not sure I would depart with a TEMPO CB
Already TEMPO TCU make me wonder not being equipped with any on-board weather hardware.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

If you have nothing, I very strongly recommend the Golze ADL120

Gallery.

It has rainfall, strikes, infrared, wind, TAFs and METARs (and allows you to exchange SMS texts!) It also gets your flight plan from your GPS.

It only updates every 15 minutes, and takes 3 minutes to download, and therefore the data is between 3 and 18 minutes old, but you also get a “movie” display, so you can see which way everything is going, so you have a pretty good mental map of where not to go.

You can’t use it to duck and dive between cells, but it’s great for putting your magenta line in the quiet bits. You can also look a way ahead and see where your route looks bumpy, and start asking for different routes strategically rather than tactically.

I have no interest in the company, but recommend it as a highly satisfied customer.

Last Edited by Timothy at 01 Jun 10:58
EGKB Biggin Hill

⇧ What Tim said! ⇧

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

PapaPapa wrote:

Weather radar is a nice tool here… I’m not sure I would depart with a TEMPO CB
Already TEMPO TCU make me wonder not being equipped with any on-board weather hardware.

Considering the tops appeared to be somewhere less than 16,000ft, and it is a long way to the ITCZ, how bad can it get really at Northern European latitudes ? (In terms of turbulence, icing, hail etc).

Clearly the airlines always weave around anything painted on their scopes, but I understand that is mostly for passenger comfort than real safety concerns…. For me a stormscope is good enough (in Europe)…

Excellent film clip btw!

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 01 Jun 13:14
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I saw a 737 return to Geneva shortly after meeting a hailstorn after takeoff. The nose cone was busted and the cockpit windows cracked. I bet a plexi windscreen wouldn’t have held up.

130 Posts
Sign in to add your message