Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exchange Autopilot options for a TB20

Specifically 2185 to 2189!

EGKA, United Kingdom

This Q came up in the US. This is from the US user group:

I am considering fitting a Garmin GFC 500 Digital Autopilot to my Trinidad and my avionics installer is telling me that “Aircraft with MOD 175 must include the MOD 277 modification”. What does this mean and does it apply to my aircraft?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So apparently this limitation was lifted last year

EGKA, United Kingdom

The prices listed below are two years old, but may not have changed. Quoting prices without a list of exactly what they cover can lead to a lot of wrong assumptions and conclusions.

Here is what I paid in Aug 2023, to a Garmin dealer in Switzerland, for Garmin GFC 500 hardware, in US$. The GFC 500 „kit“ included a GMC 507 controller and 3 GSA 28 servos for a total price of $11‘140. The pricing was not broken out for the individual items.

Note that a G5 EADI is also required as a minimum for a GFC 500 installation, an additional $2‘825 (otherwise a GI 275 or G3X Touch). If an Arinc 429 connection is needed to a gps/nav/com then a GAD 29 is also needed.

Last Edited by chflyer at 16 May 18:27
LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks for sharing

What was the total cost and downtime?

EGKA, United Kingdom

I suggest you get a quote for the work you need to have done as it will be location, aircraft, panel, and existing installed equipment (read a/p) specific.

Just one other note though. A minimum GFC 500 installation only needs 2 GSA 28 servos. The third is for auto/electric trim and on some aircraft, Bonanza for example, a fourth yaw damper servo is useful or even recommended. The aircraft-specific STC will indicate which servos are supported or required beyond the two minimum.

Last Edited by chflyer at 16 May 19:00
LSZK, Switzerland

@chflyer, did you buy it outright for installation elsewhere? Officially, Garmin does not want to sell GFC500 without installation, so a dealer who agrees to sell it is a rare treasure!

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It was part of an installation. You can likely get equal or better pricing from Aircraft Spruce, Saratosa, Pacific Coast, East Coast, or airteam.eu if you don‘t want a dealer to install it.

LSZK, Switzerland

A dealer makes ~25% margin on the parts supply so if you free issue the parts you get

• a much higher installation cost
  • no warranty on anything (unless, in at least 1 case I recall, you pay the installer 25% of the value of the parts you gave him )

I can probably get just about anything from contacts in the US, but there will be no comeback.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quote from spring 2024
GFC with 4 servos and necessary material : 18.5 AMU
2 x G5 incl. Install materials : 8 AMU
(US AMU)

Part of an offer incl installation and removal of some old stuff & cabling.
Appears to have gone up…

EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message