Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piston aviation engine oil analysis in the EU

No Issues with customs in the US?

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

You need to fill in the standard Customs form. No problems IME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Same here, no issues with customs. I specify “Oil sample (IATA non-hazmat)” and NCV for value.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Did anyone order the sampling bottles from Blackstone or other providers in the US? Blackstone was offering those for free and I requested a few a couple of days back.

Now I have a letter from customs that the packet cannot be delivered because of the unknown worth of it. I am supposed to provide details while they assess the worth. This process would cost me 15€. For that money I can buy many more sampling bottles from Chinese website like Temu and Alibaba without customs hassle.

EDMB, Germany

I never had a problem but I have noticed some strange Customs stuff on the mainland. Normally aimed at post-brexit UK (I posted various examples previously, and had one with France the other day, thankfully sorted in a few days because it was a courier) and maybe in this case they thought it was from the UK. The main issues are with airmail / air packets – because nobody is “pushing” these, so if they get stuck, nobody cares.

Another thing is that there have been worldwide changes to airmail procedures in the last year or two and maybe Blackstone are not using the correct format labels. There is an address label and a customs declaration label.

You can use your own bottles with Blackstone; I have sometimes done that. Just duplicate their paper slip and use that with each one.

They normally send me 10 bottles which lasts a while.

€15 is not much for a non EU import charge, especially as it should include VAT. I have just paid £50 for something from US Ebay.

Administrator

I put all this to Blackstone and this is a part of their reply

The best solution really is to just use a bottle that
you can buy there in your own country – anything with a screw-on cap is
fine. Then include one of our oil slips (available on our website) with the
sample and mail it in. I’ll put something about this on the website.

They said they tried all sorts of stuff to appease Customs in different countries…

Administrator

Not a problem with AOA which I’ve been using for many years, as their bottles are small enough to not qualify as full parcel, but as “small goods max 100g” which ships cheaply and easily to the US.
These, and the important paper voucher can be bought either direct, or from ACS.
Shipping declaration is done for a $0.50 value and 50g in weight.
Results are usually received by email 2 weeks after mailing.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Not a problem with AOA which I’ve been using for many years, as their bottles are small enough to not qualify as full parcel, but as “small goods max 100g” which ships cheaply and easily to the US.

@Dan, what is the sample size you need to send to AOA? Blackstone wants 75 to 100 ml. BTW, I’ve never had trouble sending to Blackstone with their sample kits, but I am on the lookout for a bottle that is a bit thinner.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Not sure of the size, but I’ll try to remember and measure a sample bottle next I’m at the hangar… estimate 6cm tall and 4.5cm diameter, and slips in the bubble envelope provided.
This is what it says in the description: The simple kit is a 2oz sample and tested for 9 metals.

AOA “only” tests for 9 metals, but IMHO it is more than enough. Trends graphics, alarms, and values are provided. Blackstone is more expensive, and provides more in depth measurements, but I’m in no need for their romantic description of my engine’s sexual life 😉
As mentioned, I’ve been using AOA for many years on different aircraft, and they provided yet another valid and reliable tool for assessing my engine’s health.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Just make sure the bottle isn’t bio-degradable

Administrator
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message