Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182 - looking for maintenance

This is not true. In Europe you have Part 66 engineers v.s. A&P’s in the EU. Part 66 can endorse for ARC renewal (Like A&P can to become IA). In the USA you have FAA Part 145 companies, in Europe you have EASA Part 145 companies.
There are differences, your arguments are not valid IMHO. No one says you MUST use an EASA Part 145 company, or must use an EASA Part 21 Design organisation.

I have to disagree with you Jesse on this one, though perhaps it is partly due to language differences.

A Part 66 engineer cannot do anything useful by himself. He needs a Part M “company” to sign stuff off. It’s true that there is a “scam” possible whereby one man can do the Part M by appointing his daughters and sons and uncles etc to various posts in the company, and then run it all himself out of the back of a car, but few do this as their business would be limited to a few clever customers who are also on EASA-reg

Whereas in the USA an A&P can do everything himself (except obscure stuff like installing a geared engine) and an IA can sign off the Annual. If you have an IA, you have an A&P also and he can do everything by himself. Nobody else needs to be involved, no papers are returned to the FAA, there is no ARC, no CofA no CofR. It is a super system for the proactive aircraft owner.

In light GA, nobody needs a 145 company or a 21 company. Only the US 2-yearly altimeter test needs to be done by an FAA 145 company, so that’s one exception to what I say. But that requirement is usually zero hardship, especially in the USA.

This is a GA forum. Sure, you have to use a 145 company in the USA for jets and such, and possibly for all AOC aircraft. But that is not the context here. The USA has a much more flexible and appropriate system.

The bottom line is that if your AP screws up, you know your A&P screwed up and you (a) get him to fix it and (b) won’t use him again, perhaps. Here, if your CAMO screws up, you usually don’t even find out which of their 20 workers did it. I never found out who bodged my TCAS installation so badly (though I have a pretty good idea). However in their case the management was not really interested anyway. You can easily get a total lack of accountability here in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

in the USA an A&P can do everything himself (except obscure stuff like installing a geared engine) and an IA can sign off the Annual.

Other than signing off annual inspections and modifications, within the realm of GA aircraft maintenance the “obscure stuff” for which the mechanic needs an IA is really obscure. In relation to engines I believe its as follows (1) overhaul of a reciprocating engine equipped with an integral supercharger and (2) overhaul of a reciprocating engine equipped with other than spur-type propeller reduction gearing. Note that integral superchargers and planetary reductions are radial engine components not applicable to the common opposed engines, and that overhauling GA engines is done routinely by A&P mechanics. You also need an IA to sign off fabric recovering work.

In light GA, nobody needs a 145 company or a 21 company. Only the US 2-yearly altimeter test needs to be done by an FAA 145 company, so that’s one exception to what I say. But that requirement is usually zero hardship, especially in the USA.

Yes, this is the single situation in which I must routinely interact with a Part 145 repair station for (one of) my N-registered planes. For example a few weeks ago I received my latest ‘transponder check’ certificate in the mail from an FAA Part 145 company, where in actuality neither me or my plane has ever set foot or wheel. My A&P friend does the actual check every two years and gives the data to the repair station, they then issue the certificate to me through the mail and I mail them $100 USD (the price has gone up!)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Dec 00:15

In light GA, nobody needs a 145 company or a 21 company.

Neither do you in most non commercial EASA GA aircraft.

This is a GA forum. Sure, you have to use a 145 company in the USA for jets and such, and possibly for all AOC aircraft.

This is the same under EASA.

The bottom line is that if your AP screws up, you know your A&P screwed up and you (a) get him to fix it and (b) won’t use him again, perhaps. Here, if your CAMO screws up, you usually don’t even find out which of their 20 workers did it.

Same here. If you have had your installation done by a single Part 66 B2 engineer which is perfectly legal. You mix up CAMO, Part 145 and Part 21 up all the time, and seems that they are mandatory to use, which is not the case. You can use them as you want (just like with FAA)

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

aerofurb wrote:

Air Training Services Ltd is a Cessna Authorised Service Facility at Wycombe Air Park – just north west of London:

http://www.atsengineering.co.uk

Another vote for ATS, they maintain my 182T and are excellent, I wouldn’t go anywhere else.

JWL
Booker EGTB

I just did it in Germany, +€1200 for the SR22 …

coming back to the original question
is there any alternative to the german avionics “cartel”
i am asking as it affects me also in due course and i also would be happy to look elswere i am based near frankfurt and ist there an alternate within close range otherwise the cost of travel “eats” the possible savings

fly2000

You can have your testing done in other countries as well, you might be able to combine it with spending some time somewhere, so you will have a nice flight anyway. It generally doesn’t take long, so you would likely be fine to return the same day.

Another option is team up with other owners, group the aircraft and have someone travelling to you. Most avionics shops perform these testing at your location as well.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

In France, it’s called “Tests Globaux et contrôle chaîne ATC”
I was billed 756eur (inc. VAT) for a G1000 installation with ADF and DME. That was a “pack price”.
But it is only every two years for me in France. Am I missing something ?

Flyer59 wrote:

I just did it in Germany, +€1200 for the SR22 …

I hope this is for the annual, not just avionics / pitot static testing?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

In France, it’s called “Tests Globaux et contrôle chaîne ATC”
I was billed 756eur (inc. VAT) for a G1000 installation with ADF and DME. That was a “pack price”.
But it is only every two years for me in France. Am I missing something ?

I don’t understand how they can get at such prices? Was anything wrong, troubleshooting or leak finding included? The interval is different between countries.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

No, it was ONLY for the avionics (one reason is that you didn’t asnwer my e-Mail for an appointment ;-)) But I hope next year you will do it!

Sign in to add your message