Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDTZ Konstanz runway condition

Would anyone have any recent experience of the runway condition of Konstanz, in particular with the operation of a retractable in mind? Historic reports seem to show a tendency to be quite uneven, though I’ve read they might have had a Perfo system added.

EGKR, United Kingdom

EDTZ is fairly rough at best of times (I would compare it with Lido on average).
The main problem comes from taxying, real holes at times…
More importantly, currently:
The airfield will be closed from 06.05.2024 07:00 UTC to 13.05.2024 11:00 UTC due to Campus Festival camping.
So, whatever the condition ofthe runway is now, it might all depend on the efforts afterwards, wven the campers are gone again…

Last Edited by ch.ess at 05 May 09:55
EDM_, Germany

That’s great information, thank you! Looks like Lommis is a better bet…

EGKR, United Kingdom

Lommis (LSZT) has indeed a very nice maintained runway, with robotic lawnmowers. However, be aware of the customs procedures when approaching Lommis from outside Switzerland. At least they don’t ask for additional customs fees, which is rare in Switzerland. Starting from Lommis, it takes 1 hr and 12 min to reach the center of Konstanz by public transportation. There is a bus station called “Krattenbach” nearby the airfield.

Another option would be either Friedrichshafen (EDNY) or St. Gallen-Altenrhein (LSZR) for the Bodensee Area, which are both full IFR airports with customs and immigration on-site.

Last Edited by Frans at 05 May 12:56
Switzerland

I landed in Konstanz twice when I had Mooney. The runway wasn’t that bumpy. The taxiway is indeed a bit worse but then it is not long.

EDMB, Germany

Thank you guys – we’re actually headed between Lommis and Konstanz so either is workable. Thank you Frans for the Lommis bus information – I thought I’d be walking! Definitely a plug here for St Gallen, our usual customs choice – incredibly friendly, accommodating and efficient.

(And great YT channel Frans – we’ve already enhanced our spring Swiss trip itinerary to include some of your content!)

EGKR, United Kingdom

Great to hear! Don’t forget to download the SBB app on your phone, which includes all timetables and tickets for Swiss public transportation, including busses, trains, ships, trams, and even some (public) cable cars / ropeways. With the app, you can plan your journey from Lommis to your final destination already at home.

Last Edited by Frans at 06 May 20:24
Switzerland
SwissPass arrived in the post yesterday Frans! What a great facility…
EGKR, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message