Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Air India equipment / fuel trouble (and other situations)

Yes, I understand that. But presumably if you know you’re going to have to bust minimiums, with minimum fuel, then at that point, it’s an emergency, and they should have said so rather than leave it all until the last minute.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I would imagine that their SOPs would be to declare an emergency before deliberately busting minima. Thank goodness we have discretion when the aircraft is endangered.

On my scenario-based revals, I have more than once told the examiner that, under the circumstance (eg uncontained fire, or flaps stuck fully down when OEI) that I intend to bust minima if necessary, and he has never demurred, or even much discussed it.

It’s all about the balance of risk and outcomes.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Most interestingly in all of this is that almost no airlines have LPV capacity, they barely even have VNAV. So any GA spam can with a WAAS in it, it’s going to be infinitely more capable than a big 777. Quite ironic.

Interestingly, according to the pilot, they merely could not lock on to the localizer. I wonder if their SOPs allow flying the ILS manually with a 200’ DA.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

AdamFrisch wrote:

So any GA spam can with a WAAS in it, it’s going to be infinitely more capable than a big 777. Quite ironic.

Well as far as some aspect of the avionics. They will also have INS, DME/DME and prob Cat 2 or 3 approach capability so “infinitely” might be a stretch….

EGTK Oxford
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message