Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

They will still need at least 150-200 single-engine hours per graduating pilot no matter what. For training purposes, the Panthera may possibly be outfitted with extra batteries instead ot the rear seats, which will give it a sufficient range for navigation flights, too.
Besides airline pilots, it may also be used in basic military training.
Another important factor to consider is the training attrition rate. I don’t know how high it is in China, but I’ve been told it varies a lot from country to country; for example, one Russian military instructor who worked internationally wrote he was pleasantly surprised with the abundance of natural born pilots in Pakistan.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I will be sceptical about this. As a trainer, the Mooney M10T would have been perfect, the Panthera is no trainer, at least not for initial, but maybe that is what the Alfas are for. But honestly, I am starting to believe the alleged need for trainers in China is a big hoax. Dozens of projects and not one actually sold them any number of airplanes. As far as I know even Cirrus, who have a read product with the SR20, sold anything there

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Does China have exchange controls on the outward movement of private money?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, if I remember correctly, you can move foreign currency if you have it, but there are some limits on converting RMB into foreign currency.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

From here

A post-fair trial of the Panthera: Link

ESMK, Sweden

That’s the IO390 version which they have abandoned (they told me).

Still goes pretty quick

160kt IAS at 6000ft on 9.6 GPH is awesome.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

160kt IAS at 6000ft on 9.6 GPH is awesome.
That’s what I thought too, it’s even better than a J Mooney, no mean feat.

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

That’s what I thought too, it’s even better than a J Mooney, no mean feat.

160kts @ 6000 ft is just about what a J Mooney should be able to do in the same ballpark.

Approximately 70% power for 160 KTAS which corresponds to about 9.8-10 GPH at best economy or 75% at 10.3 GPH… Wonder what it could do with an IO390 which is using less but is basically a dead engine design.

Clearly, it is a very clean and progressive design and with the proper engine has the potential to do really well.. But 160 kts at that kind of fuel flow has been done before many times and a looong time ago…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 24 Apr 18:12
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Panthera’s 160 is IAS, not TAS. The difference is huge, unless you are flying at sea level

175kt TAS needs a lot more power than 160kt TAS. The extra 15kt is like an SR22 but with the fuel flow of a TB20.

Administrator

Is the 160 IAS a sales or a real world number?

Sign in to add your message