Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

BO208 Junior

Thanks. Were they ever, pre-EASA, night flown? They appear to have all the equipment. Do they have instrument lighting?
(I’m considering joining a Group forming to buy one with a good history.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

No, EASA just copied the TC from the LBA. They don’t have cockpit lighting and usually no landing lights either. I am sure one could certify it for night flight though.

If you considering the Junior, test-fly the aircraft for at least an hour. The seat backrests are very steep, almost vertical, and that seating position isn’t for everyone. Other than that, it’s a very nice little aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The lid (Canopy ) came off one in Ireland recently in flight. The pilot was allegedly in some pretty serious weather after take off when it departed. The aircraft descended and performed a low level cloud break and landed in a farm field. Quite neatly but quite scary. The owner is now the ex owner. The report will be out I’m sure in due course. I’m not taking away from the skill factor demonstrated by the pilot. Personally if I got one for free I’d let my kid play in it in the garden. The replacement canopy cost more than the aircraft was sold for.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

You could add an additional latch if you are scared by the canopy lock. It has a safety pin though and holds fine.

If you get one for free, better give it to me then. No need to trashtalk a perfectly good aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The most recent Weiss catalog I have on hand (2011) shows MBB Junior 208 canopy transparencies priced at Euro 700 front, 798 rear… about Euro 1500 for both. The frame and latch are not complex… Somebody may have been ripped off

Lots of aeroplanes I wouldn’t want for free, don’t feel like I’m picking on the 208 Junior!

Someone ripped off in aviation… never

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

For getting a hangar space, if we buy, what height is the wing? It’s not in the aircraft data.
i.e. will it overhang a wing, and go under a wing, to fit in a corner at present unused?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

It will easily go under every 172 and be slightly above a Morane-wing. I have no present data, but can get you the dimensions on satureday.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks. Regarding the canopy incident, it was in IMC, so it is cleared for IFR flight?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message