Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any left handed Cirrus pilots out there?

And one those aircraft, you are typically handflying about 2 minutes on takeoff, and 2 minutes on landing.

I don’t see the difference with a Cirrus there

LFPT, LFPN

The referenced post #22 actually says that

- aircraft have to be flown from the seat for the PIC
- one exception is when CFIs or examiners fly, they can be PIC an sit in the other (in this case always the right) seat
- one other exception is when there are more than one pilot on board.

I know no SEP that can be flown legally solo from the right seat. That’s how I understand the regulation.

Might be different in other countries, no idea.

Grob 115E primary seat is right hand and has to be occupied for solo according to flight manual

Last Edited by Balliol at 14 Oct 21:15
Now retired from forums best wishes

Yes, some Grob’s are flown like military trainers. I think the SF260 Marchetti (one of my favourites) can be flown from the right seat too.

I have quite a number of hours with either side stick or centre stick.

Being a man, my multi-tasking skills are limited, so I have never had to transmit and write at the same time, so I have never had an issue in either plane.

Centre stick is BTW very comfortable to fly with, and much underrated.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

This claim has been buried before e.g. here and again here (see post 22 especially). You even have the German regs quoted there, in German.
The quoted German reg does say that unless the POH states otherwise, or during training, the PIC must occupy the left hand seat.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

This came up beforeā€¦ reference?

There is nothing about which side the pilot should occupy in neither Part-NCO nor Part-FCL. This leaves the question whether national rules on this are acceptable by EU/EASA.

Denmark never had explicit rules, but the now (probably) obsolete national rule on non-commercial instrument flying did specify that when having a passenger in the right front seat, he/she should be briefed not to touch anything. This of course leading to the logical conclusion that if you did not care to brief your front seat passenger, you could just place him in the left seat

I have seen several Grob types stating as a limitation that the pilot should be in the left seat. This could be just a company policy and not anything technical. I have seen it in some Diamond aircraft also but not in other types, AFAIR.

Last Edited by huv at 15 Oct 21:36
huv
EKRK, Denmark

One would prob a my to trawl through quite a bit of material to find anything about whether flying from the RHS is legal. I have in the past seen something to the effect that the PIC needs to be able to manipulate all of the airplane’s controls. It might have been in old Norwegian regulations which are probably no longer applicable.

LFPT, LFPN

Airborne_Again wrote:

The quoted German reg does say that unless the POH states otherwise, or during training, the PIC must occupy the left hand seat

It doesn’t. It only says that if there is more than pilot on the aircraft that could be PIC, AND if the operator had not designated who of these individuals is the PIC, AND if there is no seat designated in the POH as the seat of the PIC, THEN the pilot sitting in the left hand seat is deemed to be the PIC.

The sections designating the left hand seat as default PIC seat ONLY apply to what happens if no explicit PIC designation has been made.

Biggin Hill

Presumably the purpose is to help answer the Q of who was PIC, post-crash.

What happens if a D-reg plane crashes outside Germany?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message