Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBM IR begins......

I’ll have to live with it!!!

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Issue is being investigated. In the meantime I can put anybody in touch if they email me (or say here) they would like their email passed to XYZ

Mind you, there are people who would pay to be corrupted

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Send a PM to Rob2701. Got a reply:

The user Rob2701 on EuroGA has sent you the following message:

== Body was corrupted ==

Chances are the email was sent using an unusual character encoding. If Rob2701 can send me a copy of the original message I will investigate. Email it to:

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Update……………

I sat Instruments, R/nav and HP&L last week at Leicester. I’m pleased to report that I passed all three. Two left to complete now which are Flight Planning and Law. I’ll schedule these for the 1st week of next month back a Leicester, that will give me 3 weeks to revise for these two. I’m looking forward to getting this element out of the way so that I can get to the flight training. I did treat myself with a flight to Guernsey at the weekend though

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Update……………….

I passed my last 2 exams last week ………..TK all done now, what a relief that’s over with. That was the toughest thing I’ve done for a long time, requiring focused dedication and commitment every night and every weekend. Some course statistics :-

Time taken. 15 weeks
Initial independent self study. 80 hrs.
Classroom Sessions 12 hrs.
QB revision. 253 hrs.
QB tests taken. 1061
QB questions answered. 25,000

Now to sort out an FTO for the flight training. Is anyone else in the same position as me? Just wondering where others are going for their flight training or what other company’s may have gained approval for the CBM IR.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

QB revision. 253 hrs.
QB tests taken. 1061
QB questions answered. 25,000

Those are astonishing statistics. Do you mean you did say Air Law (or whichever subject) 1061 times? From the 25k questions answered it does sound that way…

I was very lazy and never read any of Met or Air Law (GTS theory, about 3000 pages total) and relied totally on the QB for those but did around 100 tests total for those two subjects. And my memory is crap…

That was the toughest thing I’ve done for a long time, requiring focused dedication and commitment every night and every weekend

I am not surprised!

Just wondering where others are going for their flight training or what other company’s may have gained approval for the CBM IR.

Where you do the flight training will depend mainly on your circumstances e.g. your attitude to staying in a hotel v. staying at home, whether you own your plane and which ATO is willing to train in that, etc.

It is a sad fact that even the CB IR will require a hotel residence for the average UK student. When I was going through all that I looked at doing it at Egnatia in Greece, where the location is great and the food is even better. But that’s not for everybody – more details here. In the end I did it out of Shoreham, 15 mins from where I live, which was the least bad option.

Administrator

Congratulations, @Rob2701!

I see that the EASA CB-IR TK is still not easy to acquire.

When I did the US IR TK I read the Jeppesen Instrument Commercial textbook a few times, went to a three day course at the end of which I passed the computer-based QCM with flying colours.

I believe that one of the success factors was the availability of all the US TK in a single textbook. I have not seen anything similar for the EASA exam. These last few weeks and months I have been reading up on ESAS Air Law, Meteorology, IFR performance and flight planning and found that the number of sources greatly complicated the task.

• SERA
  • FCL
  • NCO (which I believe has not yet been adopted)
  • various AMCs
  • ICAO annexes
  • national regulations

Under these circumstances you need to be very motivated to carry through with it… Of course it does not help that everything is in a constant state of flux.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 May 13:34
LFPT, LFPN

Those are astonishing statistics. Do you mean you did say Air Law (or whichever subject) 1061 times? From the 25k questions answered it does sound that way…

Those figures are for the 7 subjects in total. So on average, 151 tests per subject. For example, Air Law had 700 questions across ATPL Online and Aviation exam combined, I must have gone through each QB about 5 times, so there’s 3,500 questions answered. didn’t fancy failing

Hours wise, I think i’m going to need about 25-30 as per minimum hours, so was planning to take a couple of consecutive days out each week and maybe fly 6 hours in those two days and get it done in say, 5 weeks, with a hotel stay on the first night.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Aviathor,

I can highly recommend the Question Banks that I used. There is no way that I could have passed the exams without them, just reading the text books. I think some could have been done with only the question banks, especially Air Law as Peter has mentioned.

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 11 May 13:47
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I think some could have been done with only the question banks

I think all of the 7 JAA IR exams could have been done on QB revision alone.

That is essentially what I did.

I did buy myself 3 days of ground school at GTS, not because it was legally needed (I was doing the FAA IR to JAA IR conversion) but because it was just £200 (plus hotel…) and I thought it might be useful. In the end it was almost completely useless (for me) because the material covered was old stuff and mostly non-overlapping with the current IR exam content. Whereas at CATS the ground school mostly overlaps, according to many reports. So just about everybody I know or know of who has been doing this in the last few years has either done it at CATS or is sitting there right now. For private pilots (not doing the full 14 exams, and not living there) they own the business, pretty well. It was a big mistake of mine to do it via GTS instead.

I used the QBs totally for

HP&L
MET
AIR LAW

and almost totally for

AGK
FP&P
NAV
IFR COMMS

but I found those easier anyway due to my background; also the QB answers help to give you the “flavour” of the sort of answer they are looking for because there were many trick questions in the QB (but almost none in the actual UK CAA exams).

It all took lots of weeks of evenings, lying on the sofa with an Ipad2 bought specially for the job.

Administrator
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message