Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT Installation/Registration assistance, and ELT encoding requirements

Hi All,

Is there anyone on here who can help me sanity check a few points before I purchase an ELT. Preferably Netherlands based, and/or knowledge of the Dutch formalities.

Best

Jon

EDHS, Germany

What ELT are you thinking of installing in your aircraft and what kind of aircraft?

The issue appears to be that the aircraft is PH-reg (Netherlands) and the CAA there not only mandates an ELT but also mandates how it is encoded.

I find this surprising, because people I know just buy an ELT and get it installed and register it with whichever authority wants to register it. When I got my plane in 2002, the UK CAA demanded teh removal of the ELT, saying it was illegal to have one! So Air Touring removed it and “got rid of it”. When I went N-reg in 2005 I had to install an ELT so at the time it was just a cheap Artex 121.50+243 unit, like the one which was originally there. Not being 406MHz (i.e. no data radiated) there was no registration involved. When I later went to a 406MHz one that had to be registered and I did that via the US NOAA – the ELT was bought straight from the USA by mail order.

Maybe someone familiar with ELT installations can post some info on the European regs regarding encodings etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The issue appears to be that the aircraft is PH-reg (Netherlands) and the CAA there not only mandates an ELT but also mandates how it is encoded.

Not quite the issue

The issue is simply I don’t speak Dutch and spent a while in front of Google Translate. I wanted to just check that I had the correct understanding of the registration process and used the correct forms from Agentschaap Telecom. Anyway, I’ve got it sorted out and I know which form to use now, and the process is very easy.

The “issue” is very clear actually. In The Netherlands, AIC-B_EN 01/2017, mandates carriage of Emergency Transmitters and brings in to play the EU ruling NO 965/2012 of which Paragraph CAT.IDE.A.280 Emergency locator transmitter (ELT) is the relevant section and it states: -

(b) Aeroplanes with an MOPSC of 19 or less shall be equipped with at least:
(1) one automatic ELT, in the case of aeroplanes first issued with an individual CofA after 1 July 2008; or
(2) one ELT of any type, in the case of aeroplanes first issued with an individual CofA on or before 1 July 2008.
(c) An ELT of any type shall be capable of transmitting simultaneously on 121,5 MHz and 406 MHz.

OK, yes there is the whole debate, about what is an automatic ELT vs ELT of any type etc. etc. etc ad nauseam…

NeumannJ wrote:

What ELT are you thinking of installing in your aircraft and what kind of aircraft?

I’m probably fitting a Kannad 406. The aircraft is a Europa.

EDHS, Germany

I fitted the KANNAD 406 ELT to three of my Aircraft the installation was under CS-STAN and the agent Adams aviation set up the encoding in the units prior to delivery.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 15 Oct 08:17
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message