Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA is doing a trip around Europe

Thank you Peter. Indeed, we must not focus on which airfield is the best and which has to be avoided. This will be the fun part of planning after we get a good concept

The main idea is good, but unfeasible to me as a big group of airplanes flying around during weeks.
Breaking the trip in parts / splitting in groups or several periods won’t make it.
The important thing is : joining all 27 EU countries including Cyprus, Ireland … in one go.
So it must be a small group doing this, while giving them as much resonance in all flying groups, media, lobbies … as possible.
Having not too much aircraft with a good support will also ease the process in countries where GA is limited.

A good idea would be to mix the aircraft too, like :

• a vintage one, like an Auster/super Cub,
  • a modern UL like WT9 / CTLS /Europa
  • a IFR tourer like your Beech
  • either a club workhorse (DR400 or C172),
  • a helicopter (Robinson/Cabri)

so that the adventure will touch all kinds of flyers across Europe and show to the public the diversity of GA. Eah aircraft in the group will have its philosophy and will represent its branch of GA.

Other idea : bring along some social media star/vlogger to get his audience and expertise in marketing and tell him to vlog with his non-pilot eye. He/she can switch plane every flight to show equally all the 4 kind of GA represented. Like the Fun for Louis guy in the around the world flight we talked about.
Of course we’ll need to have nice and polite crews both young and older, male and female. Each will embark a few gopros to catch any fun stuff.
We could set a kind of competition among the 4 crews to create some positive emulation, but no any undue stress.

Each leg would be 300NM or less, with one fly-in per country to show what GA represents in this country.

As Fun for Louis said in one of his video, people get bored if a project is too long (like his ATW flight which took 4 months). If we say 2 days per country (which is optimistic to me), it means 54 days so 1,5 month. It’s a bit long in today’s world but no way to do it shorter without missing countries.

A good combo could be :

• a father and his son from Italy in a vintage (I don’t know much types, help me !), defending traditional flying in a romantic way (you see what I mean )
  • a young couple from Sweden in a Europa, thinking green and future/electric aviation
  • EddsPeter and his family in his Beech, defending heavy Avgas, cabin space and IFR capability
  • A French Robin or Cessna, with an instructor and a student on board, showing the progress of an ab initio student along the trip
  • a Robinson from Poland with a photographer on board, bringing good pictures from low level

I definitely like this project !!!
What kind of sponsors would be interested, apart from the main aviation ones ? Maybe outdoor clothing ?

Just for fun, I wil think about a good based on the one you imagined.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jan 16:19
LFOU, France

A good point would also be to include not-well-known-but-awesome destinations. I’m sure everyone has some to give here.
So that the trip will be a kind of travel guide around Europe, as well as showing the ease to join them in GA.

In fact, I have a better idea than chossing an itinerary : let’s make it a race or competition !
Each crew would need to pick its way according to their plane’s abilities.
This way, the UL will show cool private strips, and Peter FBOs at big airports

The only obligations would be to :

• make one full stop at each EU country
  • obey to all laws and regulations
  • meet the fly-ins set in advance (only 5 or 6, one per area rather than one per country).

The place of the fly-ins, with 300nm circles around :

Each leg between fly-ins would be a race !
And the winner wins … we’ll find out what

PS : we’ll need to find a way for the Beech not to win every time, otherwise it won’t be funny

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jan 16:54
LFOU, France

I’m in!

Jujupilote wrote:

PS : we’ll need to find a way for the Beech not to win every time, otherwise it won’t be funny

It’s not a race until you lose…

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

For ELLX, to avoid handling, get invited by a local. Yours truly, or a local club. When we have more definite plans (and a rough idea of the year and month) I’ll activate my contacts to organise that :)

ELLX

@Peter: I guess this should be sticky thread

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

To do this flight togehter with the Uk beeing in the EU, we have a limited time window. Day of british exit is named to be the 19th of march 2019.

I can see two possibilities when looking into my agenda and one which might be suitable for most kind of airplane, which would like to join for a leg.

28.07.2018 to 12.08.2018: It‘s in the middle of the flying season, for the media it is the summer whole so they will have a greater interest in the story, then during other periods.

02.02.2019 to 17.02.2019: It‘s shortly before the Brexit. So the interest. might be high, but not only in our story. It will be the Brexit-Stories over all dominating the media. Maybe we have to expect limited participants due of the winter period.

Anyway, to get the media interessted we have to limit the time of the trip to max. 2 weeks.

What are your opinions about this.

EDDS , Germany

I would suggest doing it very shortly before the break date and have as many UK pilots participate as we possibly can – so it will be a large group of UK pilots together with their EU friends taking a last advantage of being part of the same union. I would compress the trip to 3-4 days, starting on March 14th.

EGTR

@mmgreve wrote

I would compress the trip to 3-4 days, starting on March 14th.

Do you think 3-4 days is really possible. I know you have a fast plane, but doing it with a PA28 will make a difference. And in my opinion it would be great to have as much aircraft as possible participating, to show the power of european GA.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

02.02.2019 to 17.02.2019

That’s the middle of winter and the probability of bad weather is very high, so you can expect close to zero participants.

28.07.2018 to 12.08.2018

This sounds more reasonable although it’s in holiday season and it can interfere with other plans people have with their families. However, it’s much better than in the winter. Depending on exact dates I can join on few legs.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I was probably being a little optimistic – even with a fast aircraft :-)

For my part I would think that it makes sense to make an event out of it, especially if we would like to get media attention. If you spread it out over several weeks, you’re not going to get the same people participating on the whole trip. I would be able to take a long weekend, maybe 5 days to do it and it would be fun. There is no way I can take two weeks off for the trip – but that may just be me.

If done in March, I am not sure it’s a VFR trip though ?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message