Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK DfT / CAA N-reg training/revalidation flight permission (no longer needed)

would simply drive EASA IR renewals to either xxx or (b) to be done with an IRI who doesn’t charge for the flight itself.

An IRI cannot conduct an IR renewal or revalidation they are Instructors not Examiners!

no indication of “training”. The training portion would be logged from mid channel onwards. Is there a reg that the IRE must be PIC at any time, or all the time?

No requirement for training, if you pay the Examiner it is “Aerial Work” The Examiner may count all time Examining as Instruction Time and is PIC for the duration of the “Examining” flight. The requirement of Section 3B is a “Sector” which includes Take Off and Landing as well as the Instrument leg.

Many thanks for the clarification, Tumbleweed. Thus it looks like if one is doing it abroad, one would need to fly to say LFAT (with the examiner as a passenger), land there, take off again, do the revalidation flight LFAT to LFAT, LFAT-LFQQ, or whatever, land again, and fly back to the UK.

I would say one would spend more than 75 quid in landing fees, doing that!

What is also interesting (if my interpretation is correct) is that the old DfT conditions e.g. (IIRC)

• in a non-company syndicated aircraft, no more than 4 owners
  • in a Ltd Co syndicated aircraft, no more than 4 owners and all 4 must be Directors

are no longer applied. Those conditions prevented an N-reg owned by say a group of 5 people to ever get the DfT permission for training or revalidating.

This should create an opportunity for IREs who do the revalidation for no payment, as volunteers/mentors. There are a few people out there doing mentoring. I did some pre-PPL “training” myself, but getting an IRE is a lot of work. Also one needs to be somewhat brave to climb into some of the planes that might turn up

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The UK CAA no longer needs to issue the permission for paid training in an N-reg

This was posted here recently but I can’t find the post, and no reference was provided.

I have asked someone close to the action and he says that if an exemption were to appear it would be in the ORS 4 Series. There is nothing yet.

Administrator

Permission used to be granted by the DfT IIRC….at least that was the case when I did my IR training….I believe the responsibility for issuing such permission was subsequently transferred to the CAA….and I guess it is possible that they don’t actually have a process in place…does that mean permission is no longer required?? Probably more like “don’t ask, don’t tell”

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 22 Mar 04:49
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Yes; the permission function moved to the CAA some time ago.

Curiously, looking at that thread, the two links in my post there (the application form and the notes) are both dead. That is why I like to make local copies of stuff – a lot of online doc links go dead

Probably more like “don’t ask, don’t tell”

Not sure the famous helicopter pilot Dennis Kenyon would agree

He got prosecuted under the old Article 115

A customer of his reported a payment the CAA, following a commercial dispute, according to press reports from the time (2005)…

Also another famous person on the FAA training scene got done around the same time, but he got off because he had a letter from the CAA which they didn’t know they had written

I never actually got a permission from the CAA because by the time this changed I stopped revalidating my JAA IR (for which the IRE obviously had to be paid; I don’t have any “mates” who can do this one) because the April 2012 terminal date moved to 2014, 2016 and now 2017.

Administrator

As an aside, I don’t know, but you should probably not go more than 5 years without revalidating your EASA IR…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Yes, I think it is 7 years before you have to re-do the exams.

However one now has the CB IR conversion option – an oral and a flight with an FE.

Administrator

Hello,

Has there been any further news on the above? Does training in a foreign registered aircraft still need CAA approval, despite the clear conclusions of the GA challenge report from 2014.

Regards,

Seb

No; I never got a confirmation from the guy who posted the claim originally. But I am travelling now; might be an idea to just ask the CAA.

Administrator

The short answer is that the permission of the CAA is no longer required for private flights with a paid instructor because the term “aerial work” in the above Article115, which was replaced by Article 225 in 2015 has been replaced by the EASA term “commercial operation”:

From the current ANO:
Restriction on commercial operations in aircraft registered elsewhere than in an EEA state
252.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an aircraft registered elsewhere than in the United Kingdom
must not fly over the United Kingdom for the purpose of commercial operations unless—
(a) the CAA has granted permission to do so to the operator or charterer of the aircraft; and
(b) any conditions, to which such permission may be subject, are satisfied.
(2) This article does not apply to an aircraft—
(a) registered in an EEA State;
(b) registered in a territory to which the Air Navigation (Overseas Territories) Order 2013 applies; or
(c) registered in the Isle of Man or Bailiwicks of Jersey or Guernsey

From REGULATION (EC) No 216/2008:
(i) ‘commercial operation’ shall mean any operation of an aircraft, in return for remuneration or other valuable consideration, which is available to the public or, when not made available to the public, which is performed under a contract between an operator and a customer, where the latter has no control over the operator;

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message