Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is TKS worthwhile in a non turbo aircraft?

AFAIK non-FIKI TKS systems work exactly the same.

They might be missing some parts e.g. a second alternator (a TB20/21 can never be FIKI under N-reg due to this) but so long as the system is running, it works the same way.

Europe doesn’t have an equivalent of the FAA’s “flight into known icing” legal situation, whose legal history is long and involved, with definitions of “known icing” changing over the years. On EASA certified aircraft, you tend to get a certification to be able to fly in specified icing conditions if you have a particular system (and you are supposed to execute specific actions if worse icing is encountered), but there is no practical way of prosecuting a pilot who departed into what Americans call “known icing” – for a number of reasons starting with the fact that there are no weather services in Europe whose legal standing is suitable. A mere non-FIKI departure into IMC known to be below 0C is not illegal in Europe, and it is not illegal (anymore) in the USA either.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the SR22 the FIKI system is much more advanced than the “normal” TKS system: the panels are longer and cover the elevator horns, the windshield has sprayers, the tank is larger, there’s a TKS tank status information on the MFD and so on. But as I said: for my purposes the normal system is fine. I’m not brave enough for FIKI ;-)

In the SR22 the FIKI system is much more advanced than the “normal” TKS system: the panels are longer and cover the elevator horns, the windshield has sprayers, the tank is larger, there’s a TKS tank status information on the MFD and so on

Are both of these systems available factory fitted?

Administrator

I think that for the new SR22s only FIKI is available. No TKS option for the SR20.

FIKI has
- dual windshield sprayers that ensure landing visibility,
- dual TKS fluid tanks with automatic tank switching
- three TKS flow rate options
- full integration with the Cirrus Perspective with indication of TKS fluid duration and range information and all System Operating Parameters.

(based on Cirrus advertising text!)

I just looked up the DA42 and realised it is TKS, not FIKI.

The DA42 TKS is definitely FIKI. What I am not sure of however, is when it obtained the certification, i.e. whether all TKS-factory-equipped DA42s are FIKI. The DA42 (2006) I currently fly has protected wings and tailplane, propellers and windscreen, dual TKS pumps with 3 levels of flow rates. I did not check the AFM to see whether it is approved for know icing.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 13 Apr 11:36
LFPT, LFPN

Im siding with Lentham and Aeroplus regarding the reasons to have and usefulness of TKS system.

Although I agree with Peter regarding the TKS company. As I have posted earlier on this thread.

There are two types of TKS systems for the 210. A certified into Known Ice and the non-certified version.
For the 210 the difference is an extra electrical source like a 2nd alternator and 2 main pumps to run the system. 1 is used as a backup. Not sure if it has 2 windshield pumps. If it doesnt not to worry, cause the windshield pumps rarely work. The common point of failure is the engine.

My passing statement to Peter is this: once youve had full TKS you’ll never look back.

KHTO, LHTL

I have flown the TKS version of the SR22 and the FIKI approved version. The backup pump, indication of how much and for how long there is TKS left, the wing-lights to monitor (=see) your wings and the front windscreen sprayer(s). It gave me a dispatch rate in the last few winters of close to 100%.

EDLE, Netherlands

My passing statement to Peter is this: once youve had full TKS you’ll never look back.

That would also be true for a TBM

How does the system cope with the little holes getting blocked by dirt and insects?

Does the STC specify exactly where the fluid level readout is installed? I have that area full of switches.

Administrator

I wash the panels carefully with warm water with a sponge and although the panels are 9 years old now all of them work. Probably some of the holes get blocked, but I think that doesn’t really matter.

On my system there is a digital readout on the TKS instrument control switch. With the nose point down you will get every drop out of the system. Mine holds 6.1 gals. To get the max out of it charge the system and then top the tank off. If you put it on prior to icing encounter you shouldnt have to use deice just antice which will last more than 2.5 hrs. of continuous use. When I came across the Atlantic I had several (8) gals available to top off the tank in flight. The filler cap is in the luggage compartment.

Had the system for 20+yrs never did anything to the panels other than use them. Not sure what happens to the bugs but they dont clog up the pores.

A TBM would be nice but it would have to come with the cabin filled with Euros.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message