Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Printing from an Ipad / Jeppesen FD printing (merged)

Fineprint can’t do it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As my eyes aren’t as young as they used to be, I scale my Jepps to 80%. This is slightly bigger than A5 and much more readable – for me.

Last Edited by Propman at 21 Jun 11:45
Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

I need to create a PDF from a chart from JeppFD on the iPad. I am running a Windows PC and I can share a printer as an AirPrint printer and print on it. However all PDF creating printers (Adobe, Cute PDF, Bullzip) either cannot create a file directly (without asking for a filename) or somehow don’t work with AirPrint.

I found multiple apps for PDF creation but they integrate in the “Open with…” menu of the iPad which doesn’t work with JeppFD (the latter only has a Print option).

Does anyone know a solution which allows to “print” into PDF from JeppFD?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Hi Vladimir, do you have JeppView on windows? Because that’s the easiest way to print charts to PDF. It allows you print multiple charts to a single PDF.

Some print drivers give garbled text output as Jepp is using a font which is not generally supported. I found that CutePDF works well.

I don’t have an answer to your question on printing from the iPad. It might be very limiting as the iPad print option will print only the current displayed chart?

No, I currently don’t have JeppView on Windows, otherwise I know how to use it. I also only need to print 2 charts now, so the limited iPad option is OK.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I believe what most people do is invoke the screenshot feature of their iPad and then use another app to print that screenshot. With the high DPI devices, the quality is rather good.

One crude way is to screenshot to Camera Roll and then batch print the photos. It should be adequate if the screen resolution is high enough. There are then various routes e.g.

• transfer the CR using one of the unapproved adaptors (example) to an SD card
  • send the CR to dropbox and take it from there
  • send the CR to a PC using Itunes
  • the CR should be accessible via USB, without any special software

Obviously the above is a huge pain for anything more than a few charts.

However, do a search here for Airprint etc. This has come up before. I believe there are now virtual Airprint printers for a PC and they can generate any output. In the past, Apple kicked out of their app shop Airprint apps which generated a PDF on the Ipad; no idea if they still do that. I spent a lot of time on this a while ago and gave up; most of the apps I tried simply didn’t work, or the quality was poor.

Jepp are trying to move everybody away from Jeppview and over to the Ipad apps and making printing difficult on that is what they want, because it reduces bootlegging of their terminal charts, which is normally done by printing to PDFs which are then easily shared.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Screenshot is the easiest!

I was successful with the iPad using handyprint for mac
I have to print the pages one by one to as many PDF files into one directory, then I run a script to merge the pages into one single PDF . I used a script I found on the internet and made some changes.

use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"
use framework "Quartz" -- required for PDF stuff
set Dossier to (choose folder with prompt "Choose the Folder")
tell application "Finder"
	set inFiles to ((every file of folder Dossier whose name extension is "pdf") as alias list)
	(* set inFiles to (choose file of type {"pdf"} with prompt "Choose your PDF files:" with multiple selections allowed) *)
	set theAlias to first item of inFiles
	set parentFolder to container of (container of theAlias)
	set parentFolderAlias to parentFolder as alias
	set Nom to name of Dossier
end tell
set parentFolderPath to (POSIX path of parentFolderAlias) & Nom & ".pdf"
set destPosixPath to POSIX path of parentFolderPath
(*  set destPosixPath to POSIX path of (choose file name default name "Combined.pdf" with prompt "Save new PDF to:")*)
its combineFiles:inFiles savingTo:destPosixPath

on combineFiles:inFiles savingTo:destPosixPath
	-- make URL of the first PDF
	set inNSURL to current application's class "NSURL"'s fileURLWithPath:(POSIX path of item 1 of inFiles)
	-- make PDF document from the URL
	set theDoc to current application's PDFDocument's alloc()'s initWithURL:inNSURL
	-- loop through the rest
	set oldDocCount to theDoc's pageCount()
	set inFiles to rest of inFiles
	repeat with aFile in inFiles
		-- make URL of the next PDF
		set inNSURL to (current application's class "NSURL"'s fileURLWithPath:(POSIX path of aFile))
		-- make PDF document from the URL
		set newDoc to (current application's PDFDocument's alloc()'s initWithURL:inNSURL)
		-- loop through, moving pages
		set newDocCount to newDoc's pageCount()
		repeat with i from 1 to newDocCount
			-- get page of old PDF
			set thePDFPage to (newDoc's pageAtIndex:(i - 1)) -- zero-based indexes
			-- insert the page
			(theDoc's insertPage:thePDFPage atIndex:oldDocCount)
			set oldDocCount to oldDocCount + 1
		end repeat
	end repeat
	set outNSURL to current application's class "NSURL"'s fileURLWithPath:destPosixPath
	-- save the new PDF
	(theDoc's writeToURL:outNSURL)
end combineFiles:savingTo:

Paris, France

Now I’m looking for a way to print the Jeppesen IAC with the android app. I’m new to android and I don’t even know wether it can print.

Paris, France
Sign in to add your message