Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP engine failure in IMC, and flying an IAP with no engine power

Flyer59 wrote:

If the 88 is for MTOM, then for all lower speeds Vbg is lower than that, never faster. It will always glide the same distance though.

The first part is correct (lower mass – lower speed), the second part not: Anything faster or slower than best speed will reduce your range.

As long as I’d have electrical power I’d let the A/P fly towards the NRST APT

Which will work as long as the attitude reference of your A/P is also electrically powered. With suction gyros, you may still have electrical power for the A/P servos, but they will try to follow the tumbling gyros.

Last Edited by what_next at 03 Jul 13:10
EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes, of course, but that’s what I meant to say: With the correct speed you will always glide the same distance!

The 88 KIAS is for MTOM of course. But this value seems to be wrong, because tests showed that 100 KIAS works better at MTOM. I’d probably select something in between and leave it there …

That makes no sense. You need to know Vbg at MTOM. Read your POH. Are you saying that Cirrus miscalculated their L/D curve?

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Jul 13:21
EGTK Oxford

Best glide speed does not always provide the best answer in all circumstances any glider Pilot knows that …..Speed to FLY to cover max distance etc..
With a strong headwind you need to fly faster to cover more ground….
If the situation is serious then your back to basic hand flying IMHO all the tech goodies needing concentration go down the drain fast in these circumstances.

Last Edited by Vref at 03 Jul 13:28
EBST

…the best answer in all circumstances …

Exactly. This is all rather academic, because in the real situation there will be a dozen of other factors to consider, some of which may only become apparent after having lost half of the height available.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I don’t know what Cirrus did or didn’t do wrong but an aeronatical engineer did a very extensive test and found that 100 KIAS worked better than the 88 KIAS from the POH at MTOM – took him further

Yes but in a stress scenario you should have a number to go for. Trim for x airspeed and aim for Y. Once settled adjust as required.

EGTK Oxford

The TB20 has a Vbg of 95kt, FWIW.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do have numbers, i will use 100 for MTOM and 90 for a light airplane

Was that a test someone posted on the internet?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message