Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turbo Commander

Ha, watch what you step in! I think it’s more common in jet world and for bigger aircraft. I heard it has really good properties compared to more common 5606 for smaller aircraft. Skydrol is insanely expensive – a gallon is like $140.

I will fix it later, if I have clear instructions.

The 2hr edit window is there for a really good reason : to stop certain types of people doing windups. Most forums have been trashed by that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But @Peter, most windups/wrong info are still contained in the quoted answer from the people that object them, so it’s not a complete guard against the OP being able to go in and correct or erase earlier entries. Which is why I don’t like the feature very much. It doesn’t serve a great purpose except stopping me from correcting spelling mistakes without having to contact the administrator.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 31 Jan 15:44

I fixed the 776hp for the 690 version.

There has been much past discussion of the edit window – e.g. here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Speaking of Commanders:

Just noticed that John Houlder’s (man who used to own Elstree) old 680E, G-AWOE, is now de-registered from CAA database, so I assume it met with the scrappers in the end. It had been sitting at Elstree for ages after his death, but was highly modified (to do his SP Cat III approaches or whatever he did), so probably not an easy sell. I briefly entertained the thought, but really didn’t need another project. Also, people are fearful of the geared GO-480 engines, even though they’re really quite good engines with good part supply, so that probably didn’t make it any easier.

This marks the last Aero Commander I can find on the UK register, which is a bit sad. Surprising, as it’s a type that’s well suited to UK grass fields and shorter takeoffs. Maybe someone will bring a Turbo Commander or 500B/Shrike onto the register in the future?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 Feb 19:15

BREAKING NEWS: 5-blade MT props now certified in EASA for TC’s. Expect FAA certification shortly.

That was quick! Shows you that if you want stuff done these days, do it in EASA-land then bi-lateral that stuff in. Much quicker than trying to do it via the FAA rigmarole. They claim 10% shorter T/O, lower noise levels etc. But the real benefit is really that they’re not life limited and you get away from Dowty Rotol/Hartzell’s claws.

I look forward to seeing these props on Commanders everywhere. They sure look great!

MT 5-blade

Have you ordered them Adam?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

STC not for my plane, unfortunately. I have the faster spinning, smaller props. But now I need to upgrade to a 690 or Jetrop just so I can get these sexy things!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 20 Feb 13:35

AdamFrisch wrote:

That was quick!

I guess this comes from the fact that the same combination of engine and propeller has already been certified on other aircraft. Many of the remaining Metroliners (not that they still fly in large numbers) now have these propellers.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

I guess this comes from the fact that the same combination of engine and propeller has already been certified on other aircraft.

Actually, if you have a good working DOA with people who know what they are doing and know the processes, you can achieve even new STCs or certify complete aircraft quite fast with EASA. Of course, if you know how to develop your products for certification, it saves a lot of work.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
Sign in to add your message