Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the maximum range of your plane?

Urine, fatigue and fuel dictate time in the air. Unless your passengers are willing to pee into bottles in a confined cockpit your range will be dictated by that bathroom break.

Like Robert’s Cub the MX-7-180 carries about eight hours’ fuel plus one hour reserve. With a fuel totaliser, useful range is about 840 nm with 8.50×6 tyres or 760 nm with 31" ABWs but I prefer to land and stretch my legs after a few hours; it doesn’t have to be at an airfield though.

Hovever, I rarely use the aux tanks and the main reason for carrying 9 hours fuel in a bushplane is to get “there” (where there’s no fuel) and back, or to carry fuel for others.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

So far I’ve logged 7 flights longer than 4 hours flying the SR22TN. The longest was 4:28 going over 720 NM. After more than 4 hours one really wishes to be there. The 652 NM flight that took only 2:50 was much more pleasant – thanks to a great tailwind.

The 4:28 hrs flight over 720 NM ended with 18 GAL of fuel. That’s as low as I feel going and close to the minimum reserve anyway. Average fuel burn was 16,6 GAL/hr. Due to passengers I had to stay below at FL120.

So I would think that something between 700 – 750 NM is a realistic useable range for the G3 SR22TN. It only gets better with a good tailwind :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

Europa XS Trigear with Rotax 914 burns 5,2 GPH @ roughly 120 KTAS and MTOM < FL100. Tankvolume is 18 GAL, so that results in 360 NM plus VFR-reserve (a little better up high). I agree, that after 3 hours I’d like to take a break.

Last Edited by europaxs at 22 Dec 21:37
EDLE

I did two long flights in 2014, both landing with 14.5 USG. One was Samos-Lesbos-Zagreb (no avgas on Lesbos) and the other was Zagreb-Shoreham. Both had massive headwinds – of the order of 40kt – and were nearly 8hrs. They would have been 5-6hrs in nil wind.

2014 was the worst year ever for headwinds. Much stronger than forecast (sometimes 70kt versus 30kt) and relentless…

Whether a flight is nice to do depends on who you fly with, and on the scenery down below. The northern half of France is basically totally nondescript and I find that really tedious. Whereas flying with nice people is always fun no matter what is below.

If you cannot pee into a bottle, you will be up the sh*t creek the first time you are VMC on top above some seriously convective wx…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Both had massive headwinds – of the order of 40kt – and were nearly 8hrs.

Forget passengers. I wouldn’t want to sit in any aircraft smaller than a Boeing 777, let alone a TB20, for 8 hours.

EGTK Oxford

My max range until dry is about 1200nm now, which is 1000nm with acceptable IFR reserves. On the previous plane it was around 1000nm and I did a few 5hr trips. They’re not particularly comfortable, but they’re doable. The much worse part is that one gets tired after about 6hrs of flying, so having a challenging arrival in IMC after a long flight isn’t always the smartest thing. But in general, I think you can’t have enough range.

I wouldn’t want to sit in any aircraft smaller than a Boeing 777, let alone a TB20, for 8 hours.

So a descent, landing and a climb through hazardous / icing wx is a better option?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1300 NM at 50% power, but I’m probably the only fool on this planet who’d be ok to sit in a DA42 for 10 hours.
1050 NM at 75% power, almost 7 hours..

My longest trips were in the range of 850 NM, 5.5 hrs.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

My A36 has tip tanks for a total of 114 USG usable and I plan on 150 KTAS @12 USG/H, so 1425 nm still air. If I flew more slowly I could easily exceed 1500 nm.

When I ferried it back from South Africa with a ferry tank in the cabin we flew one leg of 12 hr 10 min – Libreville (FOOL) to Dakar (GOOY)!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message