Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft Documents - EASA and FAA (merged)

ICAO has an explicit definition for Flight Time:

“The total time from the moment an aeroplane first moves for the purpose of taking off until the moment it finally comes to rest at the end of the flight.”

But I cannot find an explicit definition for Time in Service… Annex 6, Chapter 8 (Aeroplane Maintenance) says inter alia:

“8.4.1 An operator shall ensure that the following records are kept for the periods mentioned in 8.4.2:
a) the total time in service (hours, calendar time and cycles, as appropriate) of the aeroplane and all life-limited components;”

So I guess it is up to individual NAAs to define what “hours” means in respect of aeroplane maintenance….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Cobalt, you are right. But I could not find anywhere in the Cessna maintenance manual the definition of an hour of service. Is it an hour airborne or an hour of flight time (meaning chock to chock)? Everybody out of France says it’s airborne time, in France they say it’s flight time.
I couldn’t even find what the G1000 time is. Some people say it’s airborne time but I could not find in my documents an official definition.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 06 Mar 21:23
Paris, France

14 CFR Part 1

Time in service, with respect to maintenance time records, means the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches it at the next point of landing.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 07 Mar 00:31
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

14 CFR Part 1

Yes we know that the FAA defines Time in Service (and where to find it!) but I could not find an ICAO definition….which is why I think it may be left to each NAA to define…and the DGAC seem to have used Flight Time (which is defined by ICAO) to be Time in Service…

I would agree with you that F reg should now be treated the same as all other EASA reg aircraft under Part M?….which presumably is the same as the FAA definition….but I similarly can’t find an explicit EASA definition…and Cessna (or any other manufacturer) don’t seem to define it….meaning perhaps Piotr is correct and F reg must continue as per the DGAC definition….

btw, I wouldn’t have thought the mismatch would be as high as 20%….10% maybe…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 07 Mar 01:22
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

This post contains an updated copy of the EASA document list posted earlier.

This is the latest list for EASA Part-NCO (thanks Joe):

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi

Am I obliged to have my logbook while PIC?

Thanks

LPSR, Portugal

I would say, based on the post above yours, the answer is No.

Pilot and airframe logbooks should never be on the aircraft, in case of fire etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I vaguely remember that the airframe logbook should never be carried. But I do have got reproaches, founded or not, the time I forgot my pilot’s logbook in the briefing room and went flying without having it on-board.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

But I do have got reproaches, founded or not, the time I forgot my pilot’s logbook in the briefing room and went flying without having it on-board.

From whom?

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Another good thing is that those documents mentioned in Part-NCO does not have to be the original documents. So it is probably a good idea to keep copies there and the originals somewhere safer.

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message