Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground speed record

About 270 knots I believe. How I wished I was going the other way.

United Kingdom

Thats pretty amazing. What type of plane and how far were you going?

KHTO, LHTL

Yesterday I had a great flight from Nuremberg EDDN to Sabadell LELL. There was a very strong wind just from the right direction for this flight that made me saw a groundspeed of up to 296 kts. I was flying at FL200 with a 201 TAS and the push from behind was just great. Obviously it would have been pretty bad for anyone going into the other direction.

What I also liked was the speedy climb out of Nuremberg. Just 50 NM after takeoff I was at my requested cruising altitude. The climb was through multiple layers of clouds, each layer about 1000ft thin and about 2000 – 3000 ft apart from each other. I also got to make a PIREP about my flight conditions to help ATC helping another pilot nearby.

Great time machine! And so relaxing to be on top of everything in the blue skies with the sun shining. OAT was about \-23C and I had figured out how to open all air vents to stay warm. Plus I had some thermo underwear on and could turn down the heater a bit :-)

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 27 Nov 14:11
Frequent travels around Europe

(Now you can leave the thermo underwear at home and turn the heat up a bit again ;-))

Great flight! My GS record is only 250 …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Nov 14:47

What I also observed – again – is the turbulence over the mountains around here. It is a good idea to stay as high as possible until one is well clear of those peaks. So descending in the hold over Sabadell SLL is actually a smart idea as is climbing up in that hold.

Barcelona ATC knows that and I guess that’s why there are so reluctant to let you down near those peaks.

The good thing is that one automatically can record a good number of holds flown for the FAA rolling currency :-)

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 27 Nov 14:59
Frequent travels around Europe

This popped up on the internet. Maybe it has been posted before, but a good story etc etc

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Brilliant !!

Caba wrote:

a personal ground speed record.

Got one yesterday as well, returning from South of the Alps, and descending towards my destination. The scenery flying past reminded me of good ol’ times, I feel the need, the need for speed

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I thought this would be my record (this morning) but not quite, by 1kt

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had 210 GS with TB20 once (have never flown it higher than FL120) but with DA42 few times I had 230 at FL160. I guess tomorrow I’ll have such flight – 50 kts tailwind forecasted.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message