Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Photos of your planes

lthough it may not seem that way, the pic far right in the EuroGA banner is ground-to-air.

Impressive, wouldn’t have thought that.

I have contacted an acquaintance who is semi-professionally shooting cars. We’ll try ground-to-air photos from a terrace on a hangar building first, while I do low passes on the airfield.

He suggested to rent a helicopter with the door removed for a few minutes of air-to-air pictures in the vicinity of the airfield, but I don’t know if that’s worth the effort. Will post pictures!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

@blueline

i do that professionally, i’ll do your plane for free. But you have to organize a photo ship!

From a helicopter is the hardest way. Just rent a 172 that has a removable window.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 14 Aug 11:31

@Flyer59: Wow, great offer! Thank you in advance!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I don’t mind close formation :-)

I was lucky enough to have Ed Hicks photograph mine

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Some nice pictures!

I will be doing my formation endorsement when I get back to Oz in couple of weeks and hopefully get some good air to air shots as well.
Is there such a thing as a formation endo in Europe? And how close would you have to be to classify as ‘in formation’?

The closer, the better – but i only do the very close ones with former military or professional aerobatic pilots. Search my site for P-51D or Patty Wagstaff and you"ll find the very close ones.

The P-51 Mustang “Cloud Dancer” i did from the rear gunner’s turret of a WWII bomber in Florida. That was scary because the P-51’s four blade prop was about six or ten feet away for some pictures. But i trusted Jimmy Leeward (the Reno race pilot who has crashed in the meantime …)

My best pictures are all between ten to fifteen meters away, but you cannot do that with the average private pilot (including me). Too many photographers have died ….

50 Meters will still produce great pictures and is much less risky.

My scariest job was when i was standing on the open ramp of a twin turboprop military transport with a parachute on and held by two guys while i was doing the photos. They showed me how to use rhe chute … but we flew over the ocean and it looked like too far to swim. Together with my natural fear of height (don’t laugh, i can fly aerobatics but not climb a ladder!!)

reading that, there should be a business opportunity for selfie sticks specially designed for planes :-)

Belgium

There are; they are called struts. Only the finest planes have them, though.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Illegal gear mirrors are very useful for indirect selfies…

Sign in to add your message