Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

I think commercial aviation with remain with EASA so in the UK the main change will be the continuation of the ability to use UK national licences for non commercial use on EASA aircraft post 2018 in UK airspace, like the NPPL is now, but perhaps with extension to UK PPL with IMC rating / FI ratings as well. This parallel system has been quietly growing in the background of the deregulation / red tape challenge/ ANO review anyway with alternative medical systems, different currency rules etc.. all being rolled out. If this happens, I think we will see a split system where light GA and commercial are very split, the second order effect of that will be final death of the modular ATPL route as commercial training will just become integrated only.

Now retired from forums best wishes

the second order effect of that will be final death of the modular ATPL route as commercial training will just become integrated only.

Would that not mean the end of hour building instructors?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter – ‘hour building instructors’ are a bit of an urban myth, there hasn’t been that route to an ATPL for many years now. What people are referring to are people doing instruction as a ‘job’ while waiting for the airline break – the hours don’t count for anything qualification wise. However, to answer your question, I think if the UK licence privileges were extended to instruction on EASA types and the CPL exam requirement for the FI rating was eased, we would see recreational GA instructors become a leisure/volunteer role like the gliding community.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Peter thinks Spain would block Scottish entry to EU. I’ve spent my life in Scotland, and voted “Leave”. The Spanish fishing industry has a lot to lose if Scottish sea areas leave EU. NW Spain would lobby to let Scotland in.
(I also voted for independence in that referendum.)
Ted Heath sold the UK seafishing birthright for a mess of museums, which have now closed.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Peter thinks Spain would block Scottish entry to EU. I’ve spent my life in Scotland, and voted “Leave”. The Spanish fishing industry has a lot to lose if Scottish sea areas leave EU. NW Spain would lobby to let Scotland in.
(I also voted for independence in that referendum.)
Ted Heath sold the UK seafishing birthright for a mess of museums, which have now closed.

This post completely loses me. Could you please explain what you mean?

EGTK Oxford

I think what he means is that the Spanish fishing industry get a lot of use out of fishing in the North Sea. When the UK leaves the EU, they will lose the right to fish there (unless the UK joins the EEA). So the Spanish might be happy to see Scotland stay in the EU, so that they can continue to fish in “Scottish waters”.

In my opinion, the question of Scotland staying in the EU, is probably a matter of timing. If it has an independence referendum before the UK actually leaves, then staying in is a much easier task to achieve. If it achieves independence after the UK have completed its exit from the EU, then it would he more difficult to rejoin the EU.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference – as some here claim – between EASA and the EU. On my new EASA license it says:

EUROPEAN UNION
FLIGHT CREW LICENSE

and the same on the medical. So once the UK actually is out of the EU, what happens?

Forgot to say: this EASA license was issued by the UK CAA

Last Edited by 172driver at 25 Jun 22:12

Not sure why modular would die out and currently there is a shortage of instructors, especially unrestricted instructors. It may be a fashion or cyclical reason, but instructors seem to be back in demand with airlines. Most airlines credit instructional hours at 80% or 100% for seniority reasons, and if you enter a multi crew role with 1,000 hours you are likely to have an unfrozen ATPL within a year of being hired. (although some airlines discourage un freezing the ATPL until you are ready for command training).

For these reasons you are seeing some superior candidates going down the modular plus FI route, not least as they will also tend to be better prepared for the interview process. I don’t follow why Brexit would change this.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

and the same on the medical. So once the UK actually is out of the EU, what happens?

The License wouldn’t say “European Union” anymore (a new one). It would simply say that it is issued in accordance with Part FCL, or Part MED for the medical.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Balliol, the UK CAA already seems to have taken the lead with national recognition of FAA STCs. Do you think there’s now an opportunity for that rapprochement to continue in other areas: flight crew licensing, medicals, maintenance, experimentals…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message