Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is retractable gear potentially stronger / more slippery than fixed gear (on IFR tourers)?

Yes the crosswind demonstrated limit is conservative. The Ovation at least is definitely capable of more. Anthony thinks it is not an issue with insurance if one departs the runway when landing above the limit. I think it can be. That is down to personal interpretation.

tomjnx wrote:

It depends on what metric you use for best, commercially that airplane is a huge disaster, it’s a massive lossmaker for the aeroclub. Their current party line is that this is due to it being N-reg and therefore not attractive for renters, that’s why they go through the hassle to put it on easa reg (it’s not just FIKI, but DME as well). But I’m not holding my breath.

Well, that is what they decided. I do agree however that operating a N-Reg airplane in a mainstream aeroclub is a problem. Following the loss of their Mooney travel airplane they apparently decided that they would replace it with the best and newest they could get. That is not a bad decision per se. At the time, the 3 types they looked at were the SR22, the Columbia and the Ovation. At the time none of the 3 were certified in Europe so they would have to stay N-Reg. Whether they could have thought that out of the 3, the one they chose would face major certification problems later on, I would think unlikely. So what they did is go for the plane they considered the most advanced, fast and modern.

DME is relatively easy to fix as many Cirrus airplanes show, but the fact that FIKI has to be disabled or even uninstalled is totally crazy. I reckon they’d better replace it with something fully EASA certified and leave this one N-Reg.

Maybe this example serves to show why many aeroclubs are justifyably reluctant to accept new airplanes.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Feb 00:23
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

AnthonyQ wrote:

This has been rehashed billions of times and people still interpret demonstrated crosswind as some kind of limit….which it is not nor ever intended to be…
In Sweden, the demo x-wind is a limit. Until part-NCO – hooray!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Just fly a full constand heading side slip and Mooney_Driver wrote:

I reckon they’d better replace it with something fully EASA certified and leave this one N-Reg.

… or certify the system, if standards are met. Contact me, if you need help with that.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
94 Posts
Sign in to add your message