Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airplane collecting as a hobby and an investment

Do you think those Burmese Spitfires are pure fiction?

It’s a fun story

BTW there was a period in 2002 when you could have bought a TB20 for 175-200k + VAT and sold it a year later for 260k+VAT. It was because Socata jacked up the price steeply, without admitting they had already stopped making them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do you think those Burmese Spitfires are pure fiction?

I can imagine that there are buried aircraft somewhere. Maybe not Spitfires and maybe not in Burma. At the end of a war outdated weapons aren’t worth much. Usually they get destroyed (like the dozens of planes the Royal Air Force just pushed over the cliff at their Hal Far base in Malta because – in their eyes – they were not worth the fuel required to fly them back to England) but why not bury or otherwise hide some instead?

If anyboday wants to launch a Kickstarter campain for another Spitfire dig I may donate/invest 100 Euros. But certainly not more.

Last Edited by what_next at 21 Jun 17:21
EDDS - Stuttgart

My father bought a 4 yo Warrior in 1978 (i was 19) for DM 60.000. 39 years later i still have the airplane.

It has a Garmin stack now, a Fuel Computer and a 8 yo 2-axis A/P and is worth around € 50 K, i think (or hope). But even without the new avionics it should be worth € 30 K.

I understand that a Warrior is not a “collectible”.

Last Edited by at 21 Jun 17:23

Alexis wrote:

I understand that a Warrior is not a “collectible”.

Unless you happen to own serial number 1.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Nope, # 190

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message