Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ICAO / UK to EASA Licence Conversion - Night Rating

I am in the process of doing this and it’s all relatively straightforward (I will post a forum thread on my experience once it’s all done for anyone interested)

However – the whole process is silent on night ratings. Do they translate across? It seems that FAA to EASA does not (as the FAA does not have an explicit Night Rating) but I can’t find any detail anywhere on UK to EASA (where there is an explicit Night Rating)

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

If it helps. When I did my FAA to JAR(UK) conversion about 20 years ago I got the night qualification (I think that’s what it was called) based on my night hours under the FAA regime. This in turn carried over to the EASA (UK) license and then to the EASA (Austria) license.

An FAA PPL should carry a night qualification automatically.

See this thread below from Threads possibly related to this one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My FAA did not carry over, and I was forced to fly the 5 hrs night under an ATO to get it. I lost a couple month arguing before I gave up. It took me three flights in the club PA28, so in the end not really worth the fuss.

EHRD, Netherlands

When I did convert my UK licence to a Swiss licence (that was before UK was pushed out of EASA), my Night Rating was added to my new licence (the Swiss one) without problem.

I think that in your case it will maily depends on how you get the NR. If you get it while UK was still part of EASA, then it shouldn’t be a problem.
If you get it after, then I guess it will depends if your NR training will be considered as sufficient or not.

Switzerland

It’s the usual revenue generation stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Even in EASA land, it has to be ATO training to be recognised.
Any DTO training is not valid in another country for a night rating issue.
I had this problem with French aeroclub NR training when the UK was still in EASA.

Was that NR on a UK or EASA licence or a French/EASA licence? When I did mine NR I just did it with an instructor who wasn’t and ATO or a DTO. Admittedly it wasba good few years ago.

France

UK issued EASA PPL. Aeroclub a DTO. Training not accepted as ATO required.
I tried to show full syllabus and DGAC acceptance etc…not interested…ATO required.

Hey, I now know what to expect should an arrival back at base be just a wee bit later than planned. Which was the whole point in the first place – in the same way that one does regular IMC training without an IR…

Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

Any DTO training is not valid in another country for a night rating issue.

Has the competent authority responsible for the licence formally rejected a night rating application on these grounds?

London, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message