Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ice bridging possible with TKS also

It seems possible with rubber boots but I bet nobody thought it was possible with TKS!

To achieve this, turn on TKS in the “anti ice” mode (the lower of the two settings I have) once some ice has accumulated and – after quite a while – it just melts a channel behind the front. Then fluid just runs along the gap behind it and it does that even on the “deice” setting.

Perhaps after a long time it would blow off the bridge (TKS does melt ice) but it would use up a LOT of fluid.

The above was at -10C.

The lesson is to use TKS before any ice is formed.

The above was an experiment to see what happens. Someone told me years ago that the ice just falls off when you turn on TKS. Well, it doesn’t. It might if you turn on TKS at max flow.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve heard the Diamond DA-42 system referred to as an ‘anti-ice’ system rather than a ‘de-ice’ system for exactly that reason.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Quote I’ve heard the Diamond DA-42 system referred to as an ‘anti-ice’ system rather than a ‘de-ice’ system for exactly that reason.

Yes, and they erroneously label the panel “De-ice”

EGBP, United Kingdom

If you pre-wet it before flight I doubt you would see this :-) happening.

EBST

Probably yes. Or better still turn it on max flow 1-2 mins before entering IMC, which is what I normally do.

In this case I let the experiment run because the cloud was so hazy. It took 30-60 mins to collect the ice shown.

The anti ice flow setting is so slow it is hardly worth using, especially as there is a considerable delay before any fluid comes out. I find, if not used for 1 month, it takes ~3 mins on max flow to get the fluid to come out everywhere, which is quite a waste of fluid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

1 month, it takes ~3 mins on max flow to get the fluid to come out everywhere, which is quite a waste of fluid.

I use de-ice on the ground and initially in flight also then I watch what’s happening, keeping the system a bit primed is key…The V tail is last ..yes you waste a gallon or two every season for grounds OPS only..Still find it a very good system, happy to have it.

EBST

TKS is not meant to provide de-icing and works best when activated before entering icing conditions

Sweden
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message