Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oil analysis - large variations

No – same oil the whole year.

One could be doing a flight in the summer, +30C on the ground, and -20C in the air. So I can’t see it makes a vast difference. The high power starter always spins the engine really fast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One could be doing a flight in the summer, +30C on the ground, and -20C in the air. So I can’t see it makes a vast difference.

By the time you takeoff, your oil will hopefully have 100°F and from then on it will be kept warm by the engine. It’s only a question for starting the engine.

The high power starter always spins the engine really fast.

If you use summer oil in winter (which you don’t), you can ruin the engine because the oil is so thick, it will not flow and thus not lubricate at start. I use straight 100 in summer and Phlips X/C in winter (multi viscosity but without that PAO synthetic oil that 15W50 has).

I don’t recall seeing seasonal / annual variations in the oil analysis metals so I doubt there is a problem there. Maybe it could be better analysed, but the oil is also in the engine for a lot longer in the winter than in the summer…

Administrator

I have four weeks to the next oil change, want to try Camguard to protect my engine. The maintenance company will perform the oil change due to next annual. Are they allowed to mix oil with Camguard ? Do they need a certificate or similar stuff for EASA-Registration ? Where can I buy Camguard in Germany ? And how expensive is it ?

Berlin, Germany

Where can I buy Camguard in Germany ? And how expensive is it ?

Link

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

I have finally got the data from a third company, for a Jan 2014 sample

Avlab:

Blackstone: (only use the leftmost column)

Intertek (UK – formerly Qinetiq):

Interestingly, Intertek is the only company which is at all concerned about zinc, and Avlab don’t even test for it (or for Magnesium).

Last Edited by Peter at 16 May 14:07
Administrator

AeroShell 15/50 and i think i read somewhere that this oil contains everything Camguard does

Only saw this now, and wonder if anybody can confirm or otherwise.

Aeroshell 15/50 was recommended to me because certain of its additives would be essential for the reduction gear in my Rotax – yes, it uses the same oil for engine and gearbox, like Peugeot cars did at one time.

Last Edited by at 16 May 16:40
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

There is a good thread here in Beechtalk including input by the Camguard inventor Ed Kollin….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Only saw this now, and wonder if anybody can confirm or otherwise.

It’s not true.

Ed Kollin posts here too (“Ed”).

As per his advice I fly with 50% W80 and 50% 15W50, all year round, plus Camguard.

CG alone roughly halves the figures for the “hard” metals.

Ref that other thread, I would not use Exxon Elite any more because, for years, I used to get that watery sludge under the rocker covers and around the dipstick. Huge amounts of it. It isn’t right. Now I get none at all.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 May 18:39
Administrator

I have just switched to AS 15W-50 plus Camguard at 68hrs following overhaul during which I was running AS100 (until 20hrs) and then AS80 during the winter…I was going to take an oil ample for analysis but my mechanic talked me out of it on the basis that the oil filter was totally free of metal and the compressions were all good….maybe at first oil change using the current oil I will start taking samples…..I have the Avlab kit but looking at Peter’s results it looks like Blackstone does a more comprehensive suite of tests….and the strong correlation with an independent lab seems to support Blackstone….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message