Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A new handheld ILS-capable transceiver YAESU FTA-750L

I linked the manual earlier on, I think.

Yes, I know. Maybe I will read it. But not today…

Addition: As I know that you don’t like Twitter-like one-liners, I actually looked it up in the manual: There is a “split” mode, where one can transmit on a COM frequency while staying tuned to a NAV frequency. In order to receive the answer from the controller, the tuned NAV station must have voice capability. Which would be rather unusual for Europe I think. I only ever saw it done in “Die Harder”. But there, they also could tweak the glideslope so that it would terminate 200ft below ground level…

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Apr 10:56
EDDS - Stuttgart

Here is a couple in focus

LOC:

GS:

I too didn’t think it had COM as well as ILS because that would require three synthesised receivers…

Last Edited by Peter at 25 Apr 11:01
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is another video, this time showing the ILS properly. It was quite bumpy, and the phone camera was heldheld, but you can see the accuracy.

Administrator

Looks very good.

EPKZ

Hi Peter. I just got my 750l. Now charging but I’m curious one think. My dial ring is rotating a little bit hard (like in the rubber). It is normal in this model?

EPKZ

I don’t have mine to hand but do recall that it was like that. Normally I would use the keypad for frequency entry.

I would like to track down whoever makes the PTT switch adapter cable which is mentioned in the manual. It must connect inline with the mike jack cable of the (twin jack) headset, because (from vague memory) the PTT function is implemented by shorting some stuff on the mike lead. ICOM make a nice neat solution to this.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 May 10:27
Administrator

Didn’t you get this cable with unit? I remeber I got some cables and I believe PTT adapter cable was one of them. Maybe I’m wrong …

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi. There is headset adapter but w/o PTT. Probably it’s internally connected for on-headset PTT.

I tried today ILS approach – it’s excelent, stable and accurate.
VOR have a little bit low range, it would be better to use external antenna.
GPS – useless I think (I disabled it for battery saving).

I’m not sure yes my battery. It’s look’s like one full day when I use it for all the day on dual watch function.
Probably without DW enabled I should get much better performance because battery saving function will be engaged.

EPKZ

The headset adaptor comes with the radio.

That enables a standard twin jack headset to go direct to the radio.

For the Bose A20 aircraft-powered (Lemo plug) version there is a fairly cheap ($50 in the USA) adapter cable which converts it into a twin jack headset.

There appears to exist a separate PTT cable but I can’t see anybody selling it.

What was wrong with the GPS, Przemek? It just gives the lat/long data – OK for calling somebody with it in an emergency. Of course it would be nicer if it had a button which when pressed reads out the current position using a nice synthesised female voice (today’s cost = approximately $ zero) on VHF

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Jun 07:45
Administrator

External antennas

Comments about the weak signals with hand held radios are usually attributed to the small antenna fitted to the unit.

Typically the TX range that I could expect from mt KX99 handheld was 15-20 Miles from a Robin, it would be worse from a metal aircraft.

At the time King were selling a mechanical relay that enabled the handheld to be plugged into the aircraft VHF antena, this increased the range to 50 miles at 2000 ft, it would probably have worked at a greater distance but I only tested out to 50 miles.

In my view if you are flying single engine IFR you must have a handheld as a back up against total electrical failure, the ILS & VOR are nice to have but t get bottom line is that with just VHF com you can usually find a Military airfield with PAR that can get you on the ground down to CAT 1 minima without busting any rules.

Sign in to add your message