Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Switzerland - Closure of Flight Plans

This morning I received a text message “Good day – NXXXXX created an INCERFA on 08.07. The free ‘prevent overdue’ app is available for iOS and Android. Thank you – FOCA SAR Pon”.

I haven’t been given a reason on what caused the INCERFA but I believe a mistake in not calling 0800-IFR-VFR to close a flight plan at Lausanne is probably the reason. Are there any situations where it is not needed to call 0800-IFR-VFR to close an IFR flight plan in Switzerland? A few weeks ago I did an identical flight (including same day of week and time) and called the number on landing at Lausanne to close the flight plan – I was informed that my flight plan was already closed! I took from the call that I needn’t have phoned and applied this reasoning to my flight last Saturday… oops.

Perhaps a good example of how assumptions can catch you out and I’ve learnt a lesson – but at the same time shouldn’t there be consistency in how FPLs are closed in Switzerland?

EGKB

You only have to worry about closing the flight plan if you land at a non towered aerodrome. At a towered aerodrome, it is not your duty.

Sometimes I use “arrival hhmm” in Telegram (autorouter). Seems to work fine.

achimha wrote:

You only have to worry about closing the flight plan if you land at a non towered aerodrome. At a towered aerodrome, it is not your duty.

I know we are talking about Europe here, but FYI – this is not the case for VFR FPL in the US, the tower won’t have it. You have to call Flight Service, either from the air or the ground.

I would say that’s not precise, Achim.

Generally, in Europe, a flightplan will be closed “automatically” if landing at an airfield with an active ATS. An ATS can be a TWR or an AFIS.

The term AFIS is not common is Germany, but elsewhere UK, France, Italy, etc.), it’s very common. In practical terms, an AFIS airfield is one where there is no TWR, but there is a service there with a person which does receive all FPL messages and thus will close and open them for you.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The other thing is that it can be time dependent. It may be obvious to locals but for example when I flew into St Yan LFLN on a weekday they closed the FP but when I flew there on a weekend there was nobody in the tower and I was supposed to make the phone call.

I didn’t make the call and French S&R phoned the fireman there who told them the plane was sitting outside his office, so all was well…

Le Touquet LFAT was the same some years ago… nobody in the tower on (IIRC) Wednesdays.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In a way, Achim was correct. At an AFIS aerodrome, I would still “worry” about my flight plan having been closed, so usually walk up to the “Flugleiter” and ask if he has received and closed my flight plan (or ask on the frequency before shutting down). On towered airports, I assume they’re professional enough to never forget that. But of course even at an AFIS airfield if will be the agent who gets the first call during the INCERFA.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 10 Jul 21:16

Rwy20 wrote:

But of course even at an AFIS airfield if will be the agent who gets the first call during the INCERFA.

Not necessarily. In Spain they call YOU first (assuming you input your mobile number) before starting to call the arrival A/D. Don’t ask how I know……

172driver wrote:

Not necessarily. In Spain they call YOU first (assuming you input your mobile number) before starting to call the arrival A/D. Don’t ask how I know……

Same procedure in Hungary. Speaking from experience, too…

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

In a way, Achim was correct. At an AFIS aerodrome, I would still “worry” about my flight plan having been closed, so usually walk up to the “Flugleiter” and ask if he has received and closed my flight plan (or ask on the frequency before shutting down).

Not my experience. If the AFIS is active, then they will close the flightplan. Usually, when you ask him/her (just to be sure), they will say “of course we did close it!”.

As the final safety net, I always have my cellphone number on the flightplan.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message