Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Terrain clearance on an amended missed approach

When ATC amends the standard missed approach, who is responsible for terrain and obstruction clearance?

Say the published procedure reads “climb straight ahead to 1200’ then turn right to ABC VOR climbing to 2500”.

ATC amends the procedure to “after going missed turn left direct XYZ VOR climbing to 4000”.

How will you ensure terrain and obstacle clearance since you are not on any published procedure?

Thank you

CLE
Roskilde Flying Club
EKRK

On departure and missed it’s always the pilot responsibility, you are not protected until you reach some safe altitude or safe route (missed, departure, radar, omni…)

Indeed, sometimes it get mixed: you fly missed (MAP) and after they cast you into some departure (SID) without even touching the runway, my understanding on the space after missed entry (bellow DH or after MAPT) and before departure entry (DER of SID or OMNI) you are simply on your own: you are definitely not in the hands of procedure designers or the hands of controllers

If they give vectors bellow vectoring altitudes, they own terrain but it does not hurt to stay away from terrain on your own, after all they can’t see you on radar yet…

How do you do it? same way as departing from non instrument runway to join route or airspace or going from instrument circling to join the missed: you dead reckon your way

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 09:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It happens more than you might think and ATC are reponsible for the clearance.
However, as PIC is always responsible for everything onboard if you feel your safety is being compromised you can either say no or ask for clarification.

France

Looks like Ibra and I have a different take on this, if we are talking a controlled airfield and CAS.

France

Not necessarily, nothing to do with airspace if ATC ask you to go missed from circling on downwind due to blocked runway at CDG, the controllers and procedure designer are not responsible of terrain, you have to figure it out yourself !

I don’t think they are allowed to give “after going missed turn left direct XYZ VOR climbing to 4000” unless some omnidirectional departure is published? otherwise you have to fly the missed all the way until 1kft/2kft safe altitudes for that direct to VOR

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 09:21

So if ATC instructs me to fly a path that is different than the published missed approach procedure, I am responsible for terrain?

How am I supposed to ensure that separation without being on a procedure?

CLE
Roskilde Flying Club
EKRK

How am I supposed to ensure that separation without being on a procedure?

If it’s the published departure for the runway, I think touch and go before runway end point and flying that departure is enough to ensure safe terrain clearance

If there is no published departure at all, you fly the missed until you are above MSA for your direct

If you have gone beyond the missed and not able to reach the departure you are simply stuck, say you get an ATC instruction to turn left or fly to Nice after balked landing on runway 17 at Cannes, what do you do?

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 09:28

When ATC amends the standard missed approach, who is responsible for terrain and obstruction clearance?

You are responsible at all times, unless being vectored and then ATC is responsible (in theory; it is still you who would die )

ATC amends the procedure to “after going missed turn left direct XYZ VOR climbing to 4000”.

I would say (if that was the exact wording) that this constitutes vectoring. It is after all a heading and a climb.

I don’t know to what extent actual conditions (IMC, etc) comes into it. I know that if you tell ATC you are in VMC they can be more liberal but I don’t know if that is official. @airways @caba ?

This is nothing to do with CAS or OCAS, and only an approach-qualified controller can issue such an instruction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Direct is not vectoring it can be issued by non-radar ATC…but yes ATC are now responsible for obstacle clearances on directs as well as vectors (SERA was amended), what is not clear if they can vectors & directs bellow safe altitudes…

Maybe it’s OK in VMC inside CTR?

I highly doubt it’s OK to vector or direct in IMC OCAS under safe altitude? at least in UK, it’s not allowed, the PIC remain responsible for terrain clearance on under approach control service or deconfliction service for IFR OCAS…

If Shoreham or Lydd ATC tells you “turn left, direct SFD” or “turn 220” at 400ft aglwith 400m RVR will you go for it? they don’t have a minimum vector or min route chart published, not even an omnidirectional IFR departure !

Lydd has noise abatement departure for IFR but I think anyone will prefer to keep it straight in IMC, as long as you stay away from Danger Areads

Take extra care for directs OCAS in UK when it comes to airspace as some airport ATC don’t clear you into airspace (on vectoring it’s fine)

It’s one reason why Lydd ATC or Shoreham ATC sometimes say things like “cleared IFR for FL50”, “cleared for takeoff” and nothing else, not even a direct or vector or route, nada you are supposed to disappear in the void while avoiding obstacles and airspace yourself

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 10:32

Peter wrote:

You are responsible at all times, unless being vectored and then ATC is responsible

…unless being vectored or given a direct routing which is not in your flight plan. This is in SERA and agrees with PANS-ATM. IMO a different missed approach instruction is a “direct routing which is not in your flight plan”.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Sep 11:44
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message