Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swiss Meetup on Saturday, March 7? (Lausanne)

Wow! That’s even more stunning than our flight in the morning.

I think I need to get hold of a gopro. There aren’t many flights that are this beautiful – but it’s worth it for the occasional one.

EGEO

I would also look at the Garmin Virb – do a search here for “virb”. It has certain advantages, one of which is the shape.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have written up this trip properly – here

Administrator

Peter, your writeup is interesting. At FL280 my cabin alt is usually FL095 and I stay there for hours. Do you find FL100 to be very tiring if you didn’t use O2?

EGTK Oxford
Lausanne has an “info” frequency 118.825 on which you get the runway in use and wind info, you then switch to the airport frequency 123.2 and announce intentions and positions.
EGTF, LFTF

…and the aerodrome frequency by the way is FR only. I thought you didn’t fly to such places, Peter…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Mar 20:38
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I would get more tired after 3hrs at FL100 without oxygen than with oxygen, and so would most people even if they don’t feel it at the time. But the obvious factor is that if the wx is not quite as expected, and you have no oxygen, and you need to climb to stay VMC on top, you are screwed…

I tried ~ 3 frequencies, one off the VFR chart and two others given by Geneva.

I never noticed LSGL is FR only and they didn’t mention it when I went upstairs to pay etc. Oh well, too late That means most people in Europe cannot fly to LSGL at all, doesn’t it? Bloody confusing:

OTOH doesn’t this mean that if you don’t use the radio, you can land there, but if you do use the radio then you can’t unless you have French language proficiency? Also, nobody mentioned this during the long thread we had here, so maybe they don’t enforce it? Anyway I am not going back to LSGL till later this year.

Also, how can they have one FR,EN and one FR when there is only one man doing the radio (I saw him).

Thanks both of you – I will update the writeup now. I have emailed LSGL to ask how a non FR speaker can fly there.

Administrator

Nice trip report and photos :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I would get more tired after 3hrs at FL100 without oxygen than with oxygen, and so would most people even if they don’t feel it at the time.

I am sure you are right. Your post made me wonder for me how much difference it would make. Might try wearing the mask one day as an experiment.

EGTK Oxford

If I climb straight up to FL080 (as in going to LFAT) I definitely feel it.

OTOH I have done various tests at FL125 and passed them fine, including one with an AME who participated in a group test, and I ended up way ahead of the whole group on both blood o2 and heart rate. This shows that getting tired is not necessarily connected to simply “functioning”.

At FL100, o2 is so cheap that it’s a no-brainer. The cannula is a very small hassle. A mask is a relatively big hassle; I have the $400 MH mask with the mike inside and it works well but you definitely know you are wearing it, and makes you sound like Darth Vader.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message