Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight sharing sites (general discussion) (merged)

I think that people are quietly getting on with it.

That’s interesting too, because, as with booking.com and airb&b repeat bookings, most people will contact the apartment directly. It would make sense to do the same when flight sharing, because you avoid the site commission.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s interesting too, because, as with booking.com and airb&b repeat bookings, most people will contact the apartment directly. It would make sense to do the same when flight sharing, because you avoid the site commission.

That would depend on how many pilots using Wingly get ‘repeat passengers’. Depends on the passenger I suppose. I have no idea how prevalent that is, but as you say if it did happen they would probably take each other’s phone numbers and cut Wingly out of the deal.

EGLM & EGTN

I set up some wingly flights for fun but the commission seemed too high. Don’t remember exactly but maybe 1/4 to 1/5 of the flight price. Most people that inquired had absolutely no clue about GA, the type of plane, licensing etc. One couple inquired if it would be possible to fly them with plenty of baggage across the alps in winter to another airport where they would catch a holiday airline flight. I explained get-there-itis, icing, weather, limits of the plane (fiki SR22) etc… they were quite amazed as they’d done it before with someone else (in a 172!). Another deranged guy wanted to send his 8 year old daughter somewhere. I asked him: „You want to put your daughter in a small private piston plane with a stranger whose abilities you know nothing about?“
He replied: „Sure, flying is the safest form of transport!“

I support wingly and the idea behind it, but it is also a can of worms.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Another deranged guy wanted to send his 8 year old daughter somewhere.

Sounds like he had a can of worms…

Sign in to add your message