Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight sharing sites (general discussion) (merged)

Your posts are very interesting.
What I wonder is: could the DGAC declare flight sharing as the sites offer as illegal or could they prohibit it? And if yes, who can do something against them? I guess the European Commission would take too long to take action.

Peter wrote:

75% of French aeroclubs are stupid

Unfortunately, in my experience, many “proper” (non-profit, membership-run) clubs are “stupid” in your sense of the word. They are not run by professionals, don’t know the regulations well and are constantly afraid that by mistake they are doing something (actually) illegal and thus don’t want to draw attention to themselves.

We have a situation in my club right now where we need to move a fuel tank. Some people are reluctant to do the move because it requires an new environment permit from the city and they are afraid that there are irregularities with our current permit which would be unearthed if we ask for a new one…

Peter wrote:

Very few organisations want to tackle their national CAA with a lawyer. I recall one UK magazine issuing an FOIA request on the CAA about 10 years ago but I know of cases where this was avoided by certain organisations because you cannot have a friendly relationship with somebody while sending the lawyers around.

From a Scandinavian perspective that sounds very strange, but of course there are different traditions in how governments work. We don’t have a FOIA as such – the equivalent law is part of our constitution. If you want some document the government has to provide it promptly (unless it is classfied with reference to appropriate law) and you don’t have to state any reason for your request (or even identify yourself). Such requests are commonplace.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Sep 08:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Please note that I didn’t write that first quote attributed to me, as it appears.

However

Unfortunately, in my experience, many “proper” (non-profit, membership-run) clubs are “stupid” in your sense of the word. They are not run by professionals, don’t know the regulations well and are constantly afraid that by mistake they are doing something (actually) illegal

is undoubtedly often true. Along with it you get the “volunteer organisation” problem …

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But how can you make them to believe you, how shall you convince conservative associations?

A lot of people have struggled in the French aeroclub scene and the way it is managed for the type of flying most members do…

Your own plane and going it alone is the best way everywhere.

Administrator

Peter – That’s a bit harsh.

IMHO, France is the most GA friendly Country in Europe, bar none, and I contribute this, in large part to the FFA Federation Francaiase Aéronautique, the French aéro-club’s federating organisation

It has no equivalent in number or politcal clount in any other country, with exception to the AOPA in the US.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I thus wonder why the issue described here?

They should be 100% supportive of cost sharing.

Administrator

Who said the FFA are not supportive or even on the issue? If they’re more influential than AOPA (which according to its website isn’t really up to its task, no regulatory content), then they’re the one that should step up.

Peter wrote:

They should be 100% supportive of cost sharing.

Who’s “they” ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Looking at the latest articles on the subject on the FFA’s website, it appears that their position is : “prudence” , and "Co-avionnage : non, mais oui… peut-être ! trans: "No, but yes, … maybe ! " .

That makes perfect sense since this is all somewhat new and a bit of grey area even if EASA has given it’s blessings.
Then there’s things such as liability and insurance may not necessarily follow suite.

Last Edited by Michael at 16 Sep 13:28
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message