Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I guess I got to get with it we never had webcams to look at but now that Im thinking about it you would not have seen anything cause it would been dark.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Because I at least have to get in before SS.

Why not try LZTT Poprad? GC is only 115 nm which means 45 minutes flight time for you. We have been there eight weeks ago and have seen pretty slopes. The Grand Hotel in Stary Smokovic is very nice and not expensive.

Berlin, Germany

It is pretty easy to get a site permit for Albertville. From there it is easy to go into the Alps by bus as the bus runs from Albertville into the mountains from the railway stations. Lots of tourists take the train to Albertville and need to get into the ski resorts from there, so there is a good connection up to all the nice French ski resorts from the railway station of Albertville. Albertville is not a difficult airport and I have a site license for life for it, so can go into it any time. However, it is not guaranteed snow free. Not a guarantee and you need to fly into the valley from either Chambery or Annecy and that can be a challenge with low hanging clouds, snow, etc.

Alternatively, Lyon-Bron is a great GA airport and alternative, has customs, ILS, etc. If enough people would fly there, we could rent a touring bus to take us into the Alps for some skiing. If I would join, I could also fly into Courchevel with the Seneca 2 but then again, there is no guarantee that you can fly into Courchevel. That is why I plan these flights straight into Courchevel on a very short notice if there is a forecast of good weather for the next few days in the Alps. Not a good strategy for a fly-in. A touring car taking us all from Lyon-Bron into a ski resort might be a better choice. It also doesn’t have all the winter flying restrictions such as Chambery or Annecy have.

Personally, I won’t be going earlier than March. Too busy with preparing for some other adventures into Africa :-) and organising an aviation event for GA pilots in January at Teuge Airport that keeps me busy.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 06 Nov 08:55
EDLE, Netherlands

highflyer wrote:

Grand Hotel in Stary Smokovic

highflyer wrote:

Why not try LZTT Poprad?

Ok so a day trip might well be in the cards for that resort. Can you tell me if youve been there and what kind of Ski Mts (resorts) are close to the airport I see its about 25 mins to Tatranská Lomnica. If you are familiar with skiing what would you recommend for an Advanced skier but not expert skier? So 45 mins to fly 1/2 hr to get a rental car and drive 25 mins to the mountain. Leave at 0700 1:45 to be on the slopes so 0845 and still have 15 mins for breakfast. Leave the slopes by 1430 so land by 1615 to land.

OK here is the bad news Jan 10 SR 0729 SS 1612 Scratch January.
Feb 12 SR 0655 SS 1701 Ok so it has to be Feb 12 onwards for a possible day trip. Scratch any weekends and any school holiday weeks.

But thanks that is a real possibility flying day trip for skiing after February 12th

Just looking at various ski sites and saw one that advertized Kravec. Get this they are suggesting flying into Klagenfurt and then a 1hr and 45 min car ride. When Lubjana is only 35 mins to the same resort/mountain. Who puts these sites up anyway? Even so I flew to Bled this past August and it was 1:30. So you figure 2:30hrs from TO to the mountain and thats with 4 carrying skiis so there is not much time dicking around renting equipment. If you leave by 0700 your on the mountain 0930. Have to stop skiing by 1400 2:30 hrs to get back to Tokol assuming its in Feb because any earlier in the month and SS is much sooner than 16:30. You get the picture. Its 1/2 a day skiing and for what cost? So Slovenia is a 2 day trip.

KHTO, LHTL

January this year I visited LOKL (by car). Looks very friendly, concrete, with almost “instant” access to both Austrian and Italian Tirol. Thinking about flying there.

Regarding Poprad, I’m flying there quite frequently from Warsaw. From south very easy, from north more tricky, aggresive decending is required. From skiing prospective, rather not for one or two days fly-in. AD got a very nice view for Tatras, but to get to Lomnica, Smokowiec, etc. (number of good slopes) you need to drive 1-2 hours. In winter prices are sometimes more “European” than the rest of the Europe (except for France which is crazy), and the infrastructure is still not Austra or Italy.

EPBC

C210_Flyer wrote:

Can you tell me if youve been there and what kind of Ski Mts (resorts) are close to the airport

My wife has been there in winter time for skiing years ago. The best slopes of the slovakian tatra mountains are in Tatranska Lomnica. The skiing area ist quite small but not boring for advanced. In Stary Smokovic there is another small skiing area mostly for beginners. The next possibility for skiing for both advanced and beginners is located in Strebske pleso. All these little villages are connected by a small train. The travel time by train between Smokovic and Lomnica is about 14 minutes. In September 2016 the taxi from Poprad Airport to Stary Smokovic did cost only 10 Euro, the driving time was less than 15 minutes. This means the region is ok even for a 1-2 day trip.

Berlin, Germany

It’s good to know something new about the region you are spending most of your weekends. Thank you highflyer ;)

EPBC

My ski-mad colleagues here are already watching the webcams and apparently there has been quite a bit of snow in the Alps.

However I hear the ski lifts don’t start till early December, and anyway the early snow tends to melt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However I hear the ski lifts don’t start till early December, and anyway the early snow tends to melt.

Tignes/Val d’Isère opens November 26th – if not one weekend earlier if current conditions persist – it snowed a fair bit. There’s always tour skiing too. We’ve had snow up at the house (it’s gone now) and we’re only at 650m’s

Wim

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I am now looking at Annecy mid-December – Grand Bornand.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message