Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Charts - electronic

See my post. I said “I think”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But this just shows the problems with VFR flight.

Looking at one country’s charts and saying that they are good or bad is fine, but it just goes to show that most VFR pilots don’t fly too often outside the one country. If they did then having to get used to lots of different presentations is anoying at best.

I think this is what Peter was getting at, and was rather thining about an international presentation, such as the old Jepp ones. (I never liked their presentation of airspace, but they were really the only option at the time with international coverage with the same presentation, on paper).

These days I think DFS does a few different countries surrounding Germany, so you have consistent presentation on those. And the Air Milllion that I mentioned does most of Europe at a 1M scale.

Beyond that, it’s different presentations for different countries, or use Electronic charts…or both.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes, but the issue around paper charts remains: issued once a year only (in some cases two years), all rhe while
Major airspace changes occur all year long.

There are a couple of countries which endeavour to make major changes only once a year (Germany, Switzerland I think), but others, including Italy and UK don’t care. So you end up flying with outdated chart material, even though you have the “latest issue”. Not acceptable nowadays.

Going digital/vector is the only solution.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t disagree with anything you said. But in fairness, most countries (including the UK) do try to co-incide airspace changes with chart changes. They don’t always succeed though. While local pilots will probably be aware of the changes, it’s a nightmare for international pilots to have to update charts manually.

So I do agree, that digitial is the way to go. I’ve been digital since 2004, but for many years used paper and digital together. These days I don’t really bother with paper charts, but might take a quick look at the digial verion of a paper chart overlaid on the electronic chart, if I want to check something unusual.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

pilots to have to update charts manually

How does that work?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Agreed – digital charts is the answer but some countries ( The Netherlands ) will only accept a paper chart as meeting requirements. Personally I find the digital charts of Garmin Pilot, Sky Demon, DFS are fine – backed up with the ir Million series as last resort. Sorry DP – never tried PFMS/Easy VFR in flight.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

some countries ( The Netherlands ) will only accept a paper chart as meeting requirements.

Can you quote the relevant law for that?

Peter_Mundy wrote:

but some countries ( The Netherlands ) will only accept a paper chart as meeting requirements.

Can you point me in the direction of that rule/requirement? I’ve never found it. The only rule I found is that you need a current and suitable chart for the route to be flown. It doesn’t say the chart needs to be printed on paper.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

How does that work?

Well, they must do it with a chinagraph or permanent marker (which is why most pilots never do that).

but some countries ( The Netherlands ) will only accept a paper chart as meeting requirements.

Peter, I’ve heard the same about the Netherlands. However you might be aware that PocketFMS recently released a free app called AirspaceAvoid NL, in conjunction with the Dutch authorities. I understand that the Dutch authorities confirmed, as part of their work in this process, that they were happy for this digital chart to meet their requirements. A pilot carrying this app would not need to carry a paper chart. At least that is my understanding of what was agreed.

If that applies to other system, I’ve no idea. I think it was only because they were involved in the testing and quality control of this app. None the less, an interesting development.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

AirspaceAvoid NL

autorouter also has a feature where you can find routes that completely avoid Dutch airspace

Sign in to add your message