Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When ATC asks you to “orbit” at a holding point

I have been told to “orbit” at jerez/Spain LEJR when i was in the the VFR circuit and they had inbound IFR or wanted to have more spacing for the VFR traffic

fly2000

From my experience you get two kind of things from ATC:
“Make 360 left/right” – make one 360 and then continue as planned
“Orbit left/right” – hold/orbit until ATC give you other instructions

I do not see a difference between hold or orbit.

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

I do not see a difference between hold or orbit.

Orbit is VFR making circles. Hold is executing holding pattern (usually IFR) around fixed point.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

i just rechecked the AIP and found the following
I guess on my earlier post when I said that i been ask to “orbit” it could be that it was used as a “local Termanolgy”

fly2000

boscomantico wrote:

Hold is IFR. Orbit is VFR.

Düsseldorf has holding patterns on their Visual Operation Chart:

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

During my PPL training I was taught that VFR holdings are anti-clockwise and IFR holdings are clockwise.

ESME, ESMS

“IFR holdings are clockwise”

except when they are anti-clockwise ;-)

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

except when they are anti-clockwise ;-)

ESME, ESMS

I vaguely recall some rule in the FAA world that published holds are RH whereas unpublished holds are LH (or vice versa).

IME in Europe the hold you fly is the one published on the plate, and you fly it as published.

Another Q is whether European ATC ever allocates a hold which is unpublished. This is very much a feature of the FAA IR (“fly a LH hold at SFD radial 260, 10D”) but I have never heard of it in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I vaguely recall some rule in the FAA world that published holds are RH whereas unpublished holds are LH (or vice versa).

Not quite. Published holds are, well, to be flown as published (whether that’s left turns or right turns). Unpublished holds are – if nothing is stated to the contrary – right hands turns.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message