Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this weekend? (April 20-21 2024)

Nice work. It’s incredible what one can do in such a short space of time. Excellent

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Sorry, just wanted to share that I´ve been out working my right testicle off flying this jet around! Tired! Duty time is not reflected boys!
BTW had a couple of GPS spoofing events keeping me awake. Interestingly enough even up at EGNT (Newcastle Intl.) there is a notam about not using GPS for the RNP arrivals (in other words GPSs must be deselected) due to jamming (not spoofing).

Last Edited by Yeager at 25 Apr 20:24
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

there is a notam about not using GPS for the RNP arrivals (in other words GPSs must be deselected) due to jamming (not spoofing).

How are you supposed to fly them, unless you have INS?

That plane looks like a Lear, but even so…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

… no personal posts, so that’ll be it 🤣

Last Edited by Dan at 25 Apr 21:43
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

That class of aircraft would have DME/DME RNAV, or? Anyway, INS is not precise enough for RNAV/RNP 1.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

The 3 IRUs we have are normally updated via the 2 GPSs. When de-selecting the GPSs the “hybrid” mode of the IRUs become the next most accurate position sensor, initially as good as GPS. So you maintain a relatively high EPU (Estimated Precision) that will almost certainly maintain the RNP (Required Navigation Performance) for the duration of an arrival and approach to landing. If the “hybrid” IRUs are de-selected (or downgraded) the IRUs will look for the next level down, DME/DME, received from available ground sources (ILS/VOR/DME) as the position source. Basically you´re just flying good old RNAV based on ground stations (ILS/VOR/DME) with an EPU within the RNP for the Terminal Arrival procedure, but in the case of Newcastle International not the Arrival Transitions.

Peter wrote:

Lol. I´m too old and bored to care about aircraft size, speed etc. bates ;-)

Airborne_Again wrote:

That class of aircraft would have DME/DME RNAV, or? Anyway, INS is not precise enough for RNAV/RNP 1.

Yes, of course updates can be made from DME/DME as well.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Video of last two weeks flying around in DA42. ENGM-LSZG-LELL-LEIB-LSZH-LFMD-LESL-LFMV-LSZG-LFMV-LESL-LESB

https://www.facebook.com/reel/394164243444143

Norway

Not the weekend, and not my plane either. But I did my French IR renewal, and an FAA IPC while I was at it, in the Happy Birthday SR22 (F-HBDY). Five approaches, four at Avignon and one at Cannes. Only two are necessary, but practice never hurts.

Meanwhile my engine is back at the shop at Cuers and will hopefully get reinstalled over the next couple of weeks.

LFMD, France

Not a Lear; sorry. A $60M Gulfstream

So you are doing it with DME/DME corrections.

INS not good enough for this? Well EASA/Eurocontrol know everything Good job they are not running a modern war!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

INS not good enough for this?

INS alone. Of course an INS which is constantly being updated by DME/DME and/or GPS could be accurate enough for a while after the update stops.

Good job they are not running a modern war!

Yes, I know there are missiles using INS with crazy accuracy, but the flight time of the missile is short and that’s anyway not what you find in a typical aircraft because there is no need.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message